It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Something weird...really no help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
    dandytoo
    (female)

dandytoo HB User
    Something weird...really no help?

About a year and a half a go I was camping at a lake, when I can home my toes were really itchy, something I have never had before (I am 21) My dad mentioned it might be athletes foot so I treated it and it went away but left 3 of my toe nails with fungus, I guess. My dad and his mother also have this...my toenails are sooo gross looking I can't stand it. I went to my doctor and she just looked at it and said there is no cure for it. I searched the internet and found a couple sites that mentioned tea tree oil and vinegar, I tried the tea tree oil for a few months, it didn't help.

So about 2 months ago I noticed it looked like it was spreading to my big toe. I normally paint my nails to hide it and when I was removing the nail polish I noticed a white area. Fast forward to now the whole nail is white and lifting up off the nail bed, you can actually look underneath my nail! Its freaking me out and it hurts a bit. Maybe someone can give me a better understand of what the heck it is and how I can maybe get rid of it.

Also what can I do to stop it from spreading to my other nails...I am scared to death of it spreading to my finger nails. Can this be genetic since my dad and grandma also have it?

~Sandy who just wants to wear sandals again

Last edited by moderator2; 07-15-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Something weird...really no help?

Fungus is characterized by nail plate thickening, yellowing, separation from the nail bed and apparent debris in the area of separation. Sometimes, the nail will become ingrown, split and peel.

Yeast (candida) infection is characterized by nail plate separation, a white discoloration, some nail plate thickening, but no apparent debris.

Yes, you can spread both types of infection from nail to nail if you use the same files or manicure implements on the healthy nails as you do the infected nails. You will need to sanitize your files and implements after each use and have separate fiels and implements for the effected nails. Sanitize them by first washing them with warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush, Rinse really well, dry them off, then completely immerse them in a solution of 10 parts water to 1 part clorox for a full 10 minutes. Remove them from the solution and wash and rry them again. Store in a sealed container until the next use.

If it is a white discoloration, the podiatrist can prescribe Naftin ointment to kill the yeast infection. If it is fungus, you can treat it with one of the over-the-counter medications for nail fungus such as REclaim AF, Dr. G's, etc. It can take upwards of a full year to completely kill all the fuungal spores or the candida, so be patient.

Closed Thread