It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• My right toe nail has a big yellow splodge

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User
    Re: Fungus caused by Gel nails

hi Marti
    you seem to be very knowledgeable about nails and fungal infections so I would like to ask you a question. My right toe nail has a big yellow splodge that doesn't look healthy. My other nails on that foot are flaky, crumbly, not yellow but pink, but flaking all over the nails. I did have athletes foot on this foot before, and I have been treating for a fungal infection with some paint from the dr but after 6 months I stopped. So does this sound like a fungal nail infection?
    Thanks
    ps your webite is very interesting, some of the photos of nail disorders are gross!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tesss
    hi Marti
    you seem to be very knowledgeable about nails and fungal infections so I would like to ask you a question. My right toe nail has a big yellow splodge that doesn't look healthy. My other nails on that foot are flaky, crumbly, not yellow but pink, but flaking all over the nails. I did have athletes foot on this foot before, and I have been treating for a fungal infection with some paint from the dr but after 6 months I stopped. So does this sound like a fungal nail infection?
    Thanks
    ps your webite is very interesting, some of the photos of nail disorders are gross!!
    A thickened, discolored, crumbly nail plate are all characteristic of fungal infection. True fungus is VERY hard to kill. The best treatment is oral medication if the side effects don't scare you off. You can try Vicks Vapor Rub, REclaim AF or some other over-the-counter medications. These medications have to be applied into the area of separation of the nail plate from the nail bed. If there is no separation, you can apply them to the surface of the nail plate and all around the depressions between the skin and the nail plate.

It can take up to a full year of twice daily applications to kill ALL the fungal spores. You see, the fungus infection is not in the nail itself, it is in the underlying tissues of the nail bed, which is why it takes so long for any medication to do its work.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User

Thanks for the reply Marti. I appreciate the advice.
    My Dr doesn't want to give me the oral medication - I guess he's had problems with other patients. You have give me the confidence that it is a fungal nail infection so I will persevere for a year. I followed treatment for 6 months before and thought that would be enough. It did seem to make the nails grow properly until I stopped treating.
    Cheers
    Tesss

Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
    hobogirl
    (female)

hobogirl HB User

I just wanted to add something to all of this. I have been wearing nails for 9 years now, and I have NEVER had any problems with them. I get fill ins every 2 to 3 weeks and have them replaced about every 8 to 10 weeks. This depends on how fast my own nails are growing.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobogirl
    I just wanted to add something to all of this. I have been wearing nails for 9 years now, and I have NEVER had any problems with them. I get fill ins every 2 to 3 weeks and have them replaced about every 8 to 10 weeks. This depends on how fast my own nails are growing.
    I have to agree with you 100% - if the nails are prepped properly, the product is applied properly, maintained every 2-3 weeks, and the client takes proper care of them at home, the client won't get fungus or bacterial infections. I've been in the beauty industry since 1969 and have done artificial nails since the middle 70's and have never had an infection from wearing the artificial nails - Neither have any of my clients. Lucky? No, just a cautious nail technician who insures that her clients aew well educated on the products, their (natural and artificial) nails and how to take care of them.

One can 'aquire' an infection from dirty implements, instruments, or from contaminated products, etc. The artificial nails do not 'give' you an infection, the nail technician can or one can aquire it from digging in the dirt, or not cleansisn the nails properly between visits or taking care of htem properly between visits.

I could write a story on this, but instead, put it all on my website: www.hooked-on-nails.com (link approved by Moderator 1)

Closed Thread