It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• decision,...my natural nails or what???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
    silver515
    (female)

silver515 HB User
    decision,...my natural nails or what???

I am deciding what to do about my nails....had acrylic, then gel, back to acrylic....now thinking about just taking them off and going with natural nails. Now they dont' look so great...I know they will be thin...how long would it take for them to look good, and how hard will it be to get that way??? Are there certain products that help them get stronger? It seems that natural nails are becoming more stylish and it has got to be better for nails...any opinions...especially Marti...thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: decision,...my natural nails or what???

Artificial nails require a committment of not only your time, but financial as well. If you go to a salon that charges $25.00 each time you get your nails done, you will end up spending a minimum of $650.00 a year.

If you wear your nails fairly short, you can opt for natural nail care. Soaking off the nails is the best way to remove them. If the salon nips off the existing product, it will pull up layers of your natural nail plate - besides, this mechanical forcing of product from the nail is VERY painful. They need to soak them off in an approved remover or pure acetone. The instructions for doing this are on my website.

After removal, you should have a regular manicure to be sure there is no peeling of the nail plate layers and that all the edges are smooth. You will need to wear the nails short until the nail plate has completely replaced itself frm the cuticle to the free edge. Depending on your genetics for nail growth, this can take anywhere form 3-6 months.

Nail strengtheners will not help this condition since the nail plate was overfiled during prep for the overlay - this is why it is so thin. You would want to keep the nail plate hydrated with twice daily applications of a good quality nail and cuticle oil such as Botanical Oil or Solar Oil. Botanical oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply and Solar Oil is available in fine nail salons and Ulta cosmetic outlets nationwide.

[url]www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url] and click on the link for Product removal. (Link approved by Moderator 1.)

Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
    silver515
    (female)

silver515 HB User

Marti...thank you. I saw a product in the store today called Rejuvenate..for nails that have been ruined by acrylics, do you know if it really works? Also Essie has an apricot cuticle oil...is that as good as the ones you recommended...

Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Most of the nail strengtheners all contain formaldehyde which will dry out the nail in an attempt to make it appear stronger. I never recommend them for this reason. A nail is only strong if it contains a combination of hardness and flexibility. If you try the nail strengthener, be sure you also use nail oil.

A god quality nail and cuticle oil will contain jojoba oil and vitamin E in the mixture. If the oil you are considering has these two oils in its ingredients, then it should be fine.

Closed Thread