It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• what to do if you have an allergic reaction to acrylic nails

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
    Michelle258
    (female)

Michelle258 HB User
    what to do if you have an allergic reaction to acrylic nails

what to do if you have an allergic reaction to acrylic nails? I just had my nails done yesterday, they are burning and itching. Do I remove the acrylic nails now or can I wait for two weeks when they are eaiser to remove? I'm ok with not have acrylic nails. I just want the itching and burning to stop soon, what should I do?

The following user gives a hug of support to Michelle258:
    patticakes4745 (07-06-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: what to do if you have an allergic reaction to acrylic nails

Acrylic product 'sets up' in about a minute so the nail technician can file them, but it can take up to two weeks until it has reached optimum cure and is at its hardest.

Allergic reaction does not happen overnight, but only after years of repeated and prolonged contact of the liquid to your skin. If the nail technicians apply the product too wet, allow wet product to touch your skin or use their wet brush to clean up around the nail and the brush touches your skin, they are overexposing you to the monomer (liquid). An allergic reaction can start as an itching or burning sensation on the nail bed and with each subsequent exposure, the symptoms will worsen until the skin actually blisters, peels and splits and the nail plate separates from the nail bed.

As soon as your symptoms are gone, have them soaked off. DO NOT allow the technician to use nippers to force the material from the nail plate as this is incredibly painful and will rip off nail plate layers. They should first file the surface of the product to render it porous, then immerse your nails in an approved remover such as pure acetone and leave them in the remover until they can be safely sloughed from the nail plate with an orangewood stick.

The instructions for this procedure are on my website under 'Product Removal'. You might want to read them before subjecting yourself to having them removed so you will know the actual 'safe' method of removal.

[url]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url] (link approved by Moderator 1.)

Last edited by Marti; 01-09-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typing too fast again:)

Closed Thread