It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Nail matrix removal..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
    missimo
    (female)

missimo HB User
    Nail matrix removal..

Hi people, about a week or so ago I had a toenail removed and will have to have the other big toe nail removed soon as well. They've been growing weird and doctors dont actually know why at the moment, anyway...Iam hoping they both grow back ok but the consultant did mention if they go wrong again that next time he could remove the nail matrix and stop any from growing. I've heard it just leaves a hard layer kinda thing but Iam guessing it would look odd. Does anyone know if you could use nail polish on the area or not? Just thought i'd ask now incase it ever comes to that.

Oh by the way if anyone is worried about having a toenail removed its not as bad as it sounds, injections hurt a bit but i didn't feel my toenail actually being removed, phew. Hope its like that with the second one! Was a bit painfull and awkward after though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Nail matrix removal..

Unless the root an dmatrix are removed, a nail will continue to grow. The shape of the underlying bone is what shapes the nail plate. To keep the new nail from growing in wavy or otherwise "wierd", you should apply a good quality nail and cuticle oi that contains JOjoba Oil and Vitamin E or Grapeseed oil. Apply several times a day and massage into the area where the nail plate used to be as well as the cuticle area. I'm not saying that it will prevent the nail from growing in funny, but it will help so it doesn't look too "wierd".

Permanent removal (root & matrix) will result in a depressed area where the nail plate used to be, so yes, it will look 'funny'.

Closed Thread