It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Toe Nail..serious problems. need fast advice on what to do.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
    nagle14
    (female)

nagle14 HB User
    Toe Nail..serious problems. need fast advice on what to do.

Hey, um, im kate, im 15, yesterday i dropped a 60 pound cabinet on my foot. y toe nail is cracked bleeding intensivly, and the ems doc said that it was fine, but it hurts and its been bleeding for about 26 hours straight.... so umm... what should i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Toe Nail..serious problems. need fast advice on what to do.

Soak it in very cold water at least twice a day for several days until the swelling goes down. Take a couple of Advil twice a day for the pain. Keep the nail clean and dry and 'boil' out any bacteria with peroxide. Unless hte area gets infected (visible redness, swelling and pus) do not apply anti-bacterial ointment. It needs to bleed to help with the swelling, so don't worry if it bleeds for a few more days. Do not wear any tuype of shoe that would put any pressure on the injury. Also, do not apply bandaids - go get some plain gauze and wrap the toe with the gauze and use the ends to 'tie' it onto the toe - for more stability, tie it to the toe right next to the injured one.

If there is a substantial amount of blood under the nail, the nail will separate from the nail bed. The matrix will continue to develop new nail plate cells which will push the injured ones off the free edge. Depending on your genetics for nail growth, this can take upwards of 6 months.

Closed Thread