It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Smashed toenail for marti!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
    Zeppin44
    (male)

Zeppin44 HB User
    Smashed toenail for marti!

Hi marti. I'm asking you this simply because you seem to be the expert on nail injuries around here ( yet i welcome other responses) . I have searched for a similar injury and haven't found it.

I smashed the side of my middle toenail on my right foot about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The toenail bled and the side that was bashed had risen out from the underskin of my nail (bottom of nail towards knuckle) so i could see an edge to the nail, yet the other half is connected and looks like it may be fine. The bashed up side is purple and now that some of the blood is gone it is turning white. If i touch it ( which i try not to do) it is loose. Some skin around the nail had peeled off shortly after the accident. What do you recommend I do? I was wondering if cutting off the part that is loose yet leaving the rest would help it regrow normally?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Smashed toenail for marti!

Whenever the nail bed bleeds due to trauma of any sort, the space between the nail plate and the nail bed fills with the blood. As the blood dries or is flushed out, the nail plat ewill have separated from the nail bed. Usually, a tiny layer of nail plate remains which can make it look like there are two sections to the nail. The nail plate has turned white where it is no longer attached because the nail bed isn't touching it anymore and giving it a pink color. Unless the lifted portion is catching on things and may tear, there is no need to cut it away. Leave it if you can so it can protect the delicate underlying tissues.

The nailpalte grow from the matrix of which the leading edge can be seen as the white half-moon (Lunula) at the base of the nail. Unless the Matris was surgically removed and burned with acids, it will continue to produce new nail plate cells. The new cells will push the existing portion of nail plate forward and off the free edge. This would include the lifted portion of nail as well.

Depending on your genetics for nail growth, it can take from 3-6 months for the nail to completely replace itself. Mine took close to 6 months - my nails grow very slow although my hair grow really fast. I got my Mom's nails and my Dad's hair

Closed Thread