It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• finger nail injury

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
    jadefalcone
    (female)

jadefalcone HB User
    finger nail injury

My son was playing football and a helmet hit his finger nail and ripped it up of the nail bed and pushed back through the skin behind the finger nail. I could clearly see under the nail right after it happened we pushed the finger nail back down and clean and bandaged it... I have noticed the day after that the skin thats ripped near the back of the nail the nail is coming through and is still pushed up A BIT... THE FINGER NAIL IS COMPLETELY BLUE AND THE CUTICLE is white... should I take him to the hospital....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: finger nail injury

There's not a whole lot the Doctor can do. Soak it in very cold water several times a day to help with the pain and swelling. After soaking and drying it off, apply a drop of peroxide to kill any bacteria that may be present. If it bubbles, it is killing bacteria. Keep it clean and dry, but don't apply bandaids as they allow for moisture to build up. Instead, wrap with plain gauze and tie it onto the finger, or use that elastic tape that sticks to itself to keep it on the finger. Don't cover the area with tape where the nail plate injury is. It is black and blue due to bruising and/or blood that is trapped under the cuticle and the damaged nail plate. More than likely, hte nail will fall off as it grows forward. Due to the injury, hte matrix (where the nail plate cells are born) will not produce nail plate cells for a few days or a few weeks, so this will take some time. As new nail cells begin to develop, it will push the damaged portion forward, revealing a dent or a raised bump where the damage occurred to the matrix. If he plays ball before the nail plate has completely replaced itself, you may want him to wear a splint on the finger to prevent further damage. It can take anywhere form 3-6 months for it to heal and begin to grow normally again.

Closed Thread