It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• toenail discoloration on end of nail

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
    mithrandir
    (male)

mithrandir HB User
    toenail discoloration on end of nail

I hope someone can give me some advice. I have had discoloration on the very end portion of my big toenails for years. It is only on the nail edge where the nail grows out and is no longer resting on the toe. If I clip the nail back far enough there is no discoloration, and the rest of the nail plate back to the nail bed is clear with no discoloration. This is definitely not a fungal infection because it has been like this for years with no progression or worsening of discoloration. It is a yellowish to light brown discoloration, almost like my nail is stained with mustard or wood stain.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this, and how to get rid of it? It isnt bad, but it definitely makes me avoid going barefoot or wearing sandals in public. Thanks for the input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: toenail discoloration on end of nail

It could be a bacterial infection, or it could just be a stain. Try cleaning under the nails free edge to remove the dead skin that is attached to the underside of the nail plate. YOu can purchase a tool at your local OTC beauty supply such as Sally Beauty Supply. You will need to scrape the underside of the nail plate to remove this skin. Do not go digging into flesh, just scrape the free edge. Soak your feet for at least 3 minutes in very warm (jacuzzi temp water) for 3 minutes and add some baking soda to the water or sea salt. After soaking, the dead skin will be soft enough to scrape off.

Closed Thread