HealthBoards (
-   Nail Problems (
-   -   Itching after having nails done? Anyone? (

BioAdoptMom3 05-16-2009 09:47 PM

Itching after having nails done? Anyone?
I have been getting gel nails for almost four years and always at the same place, by the same person, the owner of the salon. This place has always appeared to be very clean, so I don't think its an infection. Today, and this is the third time its happened, I had my nails done and my fingers, below and around the nails are itching to the point that it is driving me crazy. It actually looks like yeast because they are red, swollen and now, unlike last time (and both of the last two times the itching and redness lasted about three days), I have having some oozing as well. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I hate to have to stop getting my nails done, though I know I may have to. I am allergic to nail polish remover (it makes my nails really brittle) so it is very difficult for me to do them myself and keep them looking nice.



Marti 05-17-2009 09:13 AM

Re: Itching after having nails done? Anyone?
The symptoms you are describing are classic for allergic reaction to acrylates - in this case, gel acrylic. If you are allergic to one nail enhancement product, you will be allergic to all of them. Since ALL artificial nail products are made from the same family of acrylates, you will be allergic to traditionnal acrylic, gel acrylic, wrap resins and nail adhesives (glues.) Allergic reaction does not happen overnight, but only after years of repeated and prolonged skin contact to a potential allergen. If the technician repeatedly allowed the wet product to touch your skin around the cuticle area, then this is the way in which you were overexposed. Once allergic, we are allergic for life. You need to have the nails removed and opt for natural nail care. With each exposure, the symptoms will worsen and the acute reaction is that your natural nail plate will lift and separate from the nail bed. The itching and burning will worsen as well as an increase in the blisters and seepage. Please have them removed!!

BioAdoptMom3 05-17-2009 07:16 PM

Re: Itching after having nails done? Anyone?
Thank you so much. I had no idea that if I wasn't allergic before, I could suddenly be allergic now. I was going to call tomorrow to ask her if she was using a new product. I really appreciate your advice!


Marti 05-18-2009 06:19 AM

Re: Itching after having nails done? Anyone?
It isn't a "sudden" reaction. It only happens after years of overexposure, then BAM, one day your body says 'enough is enough' and exibits the reaction on the skin and nails. A friend of my step-sons never showed signs of being allergic to poison ivy and would rub it on his skin just to show his friends. One day, after doing this, he experienced a very severe reaction and has never done it again. One can become allergic to just about anything, with my sister Claire, it is bee stings because she was stung so much when she was a child - she was fearless with bees and now she can die from just one tiny sting. Since everything we see and touch is a chemical except for light & electricity, there is always the potential for allergic reaction from overexposure.

melissasue30 04-02-2010 02:07 PM

Re: Itching after having nails done? Anyone?
I have been doing my own nails for years now and I buy the acrylic kind. Last year my cuticle area became red and itchy. Really bad itchy and then little tiny blister like blisters formed as well. It is an allergic reaction to fake nails and the glue. Once you have the symptoms you will have them for the rest of your life if you keep the nails on. I thought I could live with the itching, and kept reapplying the nails and then my nails started to peal away form the nail bed. My nails have never gotten back to normal. They peal and break and seperate from the nail bed all the time. Please stop applying fake nails if you have these syptoms. You will have to live with horrible nails the rest of your life. I hope this helps any one with the same issues I had.

imavp 05-17-2010 10:46 AM

Re: Itching after having nails done? Anyone?
OMG!!! I too have itchy fingertips, after i get a fill!...last about 3-5 days.
I'll share some of my recent experience!! I first noticed a change Mar of 09. I at that time would get manicures about every other fill as i am very hard on my hands(work), after a mani. my tech..., i believe got into my cuticle tooo much, they were sore for, my skin around the whole cuticle was turning to a dry flaky white(really crusty) and peeling skin...showed my tech, decided wasn't going to cut cuticles again anytime soon. Proceeded to get worse...MY WHOLE REAL NAIL...soon to follow ALL of them were lifting and falling off!! I was freaked out to say the least, Scared to death...i finally went to a dr...took LAMISIL antifungal for 3 mo...then another mo. Hated not having was horrible and my hands were yes beyond ugly..eventually they all did grow back!!TG
April of this year i went to another salon(new & very clean) got a new set, they too are itchy,little redness and puffy for a few days..........i'm now on about my 3rd fill...nails still itchy!!!:(((
I now am just in awe!!! and maybe just a bit relieved to know that this presant problem could be an allergic reaction..i have been thinking the worst! Gonna keep researching and i guess i will have to give them up:(:(

suzanne20f 06-14-2010 11:24 AM

Re: Itching after having nails done? Anyone?
I have been going to a salon for 4 years to get my gel nails done. About 6 or 7 months ago i started doing them myself, with exactly the same brand of gel etc. Then about 2 months ago, after doing my nails the next day the skin above my nails got very very itchy. I keep doing my nails but trying different ways, ie, not getting any gel on my actual skin, put gloves on my hands and only exposing my nail etc but this does not work. I actually thought i was allergic to the uv light. I still dont know the answer to this but the itchiness drives me insane, its so hard to not do them tho, as im so used to having long strong nails. What i have been doing very lately is putting on the nail, blending in it with my own, cuttin it to a reasonable length and applying no gel, and consequently not using the uv light. I just then use nail polish which does. Its better than having that horrible red, swollen, bumpy, stinging, peeling skin around my nails.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 AM.