It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Pain following overlay application

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
    texasmary
    (female)

texasmary HB Usertexasmary HB User
    Pain following overlay application

I recently had my first manicure ever, with overlays. It is now 4 days later and my nails are still sore. The first day it felt like someone had tried to pull my nails out from the roots. I do have a somewhat low pain threshold, but this is making me think twice about continuing. Was my manicurist just too rough? Anyone have any ideas about how to avoid this pain next time? I was hoping I could continue doing this every few weeks during the summer. Thanks, TexasMary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Pain following overlay application

There should NEVER be any pain associated with acrylic overlays. If you experienced any pain, it is due to one of two things: the nail tech overfiled your natural nail during prepearation and removed too many vital nail plate layers, and/or she applied the product too wet. Too wet an application will allow the product to shrink too much during cure which will put pressure on the natural nail plate. Too much shrinkage usually applied more to silk or fiberglass wrap applications but in rare circumstances, can also occur with Acrylics.

If the technician used a drill during prep or finishing and was not properly trained on its use, the result can be pain after application as well as a very thinned ut natural nail plate. The thinner the nail plate, the weaker the finished product. When you go back, insist that she use only hand filing and nto the drill, or find a salon that hand-files.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
    texasmary
    (female)

Thanks so much for your reply. The prep consisted of using a metal scraper-thing near the cuticles to "remove the shine" and then a fine-grit buffer to make the nails ready to accept the first coat. I think the first coat was some type of glue, then she dipped my nails in a shiny powder. Then she brushed on the polish and put my hands under a UV light. I asked her if this what they call acrylic overlays, and she said no. She gave it another name which I can't remember at all... it was kind of long... may have had the word extreme in it... not sure. I'm thinking it was the metal scraper that left my nails so sore. I'm wondering if we could do this process without the scraping? Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

The procedure you described is NOT gel nails, nor is it traditional acrylic. It is a "nail glue and acrylic powder" dip method, so I am thinking that you didn't get what you paid for. This procedure will allow for excess shrinkage when it is cured - especially if the tech used a lot of glue and only dipped your nails in the powder one time. Excessive shrinking can cause pain to the nails which takes many, many days to go away if it ever does. If the tech used a lot of downward pressure to push back the cuticles or a lot of force when she buffed them, it would have casued some discomfort, but not a lot of long-lasting pain. Maybe you might want to try a different tech or a different salon.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
    texasmary
    (female)

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Closed Thread