It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Bacterial Cuticle Infection that will not respond to treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
    sophiesmommie
    (female)

sophiesmommie HB User
    Question Bacterial Cuticle Infection that will not respond to treatment

I've a an infection of my big toe cuticle since last Sept! I've been on oral antibiotics over and over again. I thought the infection was finally cured when I had to be treated for a cat bite on my hand and took Rocephin injections daily for 5 days along with Flagyl by mouth. Once my antibiotics stopped, the infection came back, and now my big toe is very inflammed and *****! I clean it with peroxide, I've tried Manuka honey, silver, you name it! I've noticed that when the infection is acute, I have pain below my little toe as well, almost like arthritis in nature which makes it painful to walk. My internist really does not know what to do. This infection all started 3 weeks after a pedicure. Everyday I'm in pain, my husband reminds me that I did it to myself! ( I even took sterlized tools for the nail tech to use!) Is the problem that I'll never get the cuticle to reattach? I've even tried liquid bandage and it seemed to help as I waited to apply it to the area after the toe looked fairly normal. But, I think, while out gardening the toe either got infected again becausse of the compromised tissue, or I now have a super-infection due to the antibiotic use! Help!:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
    Marti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
    Re: Bacterial Cuticle Infection that will not respond to treatment

It depends entirely on what type of bacterial infection it is. It could also be a paronychia infection of the nail fold that will not respond to anti-biotics. Paronychia is a 'yeast' infection that is of the fungal family. Look up paronychia on the internet to see if your nail looks anything like the ones you will see. If so, print the info and take it to your podiatrist.

Closed Thread