It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Frustrated w/ toenail fungus... ladies please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
    deadsy
    (female)

deadsy HB User
    Angry Frustrated w/ toenail fungus... ladies please help

Hello... let me just start by saying I've been dealing with toe nail fungus for nearly 10 years... the sad thing is, I am only 25. It got so bad, nearly all my toes were fungus ridden. I went to a dr last year and finally got on the generic lamisil, which worked well for me for the most part. I ended up getting pregnant (it was not planned) so I had to stop taking the lamisil. Now here I am 25 weeks pregnant, and the nail fungus is coming back in four of my toes. I am so upset.. but I didn't get to take the full course of treatment, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
    After I deliver this baby and get done breast feeding and all that, I plan to try to lamisil again.
    However, I have a dilemma in the mean time. I am going to be a brides maid in a wedding here in 4 weeks. I have open toed shoes that I have to wear. All the other bridesmaids are planning to get pedicures n what not... everyone's toes will look really nice I'm sure. I don't think anyone will give me a pedicure with fungus, so is there anything I can do at home to make my toe nails look decent for this wedding? I am planning to paint them, but the nails are starting to get raised and gross looking. I fear that even painting them is not enough to hide the hideousness that comes with this fungus...
    Sooo do any of you have advice on what I can do to make my toenails look somewhat presentable for this event. I am terrifed.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
    pwmama
    (female)

pwmama HB User
    Re: Frustrated w/ toenail fungus... ladies please help

Don't fret I have a solution go get a pedicure (alone) have them file down the nails smooth and then polish them nobody will know any different. I too suffer from the dreadful "FUNGUS". You first find a salon that will do it (they want the money) have them use the electric file they use for acrylic nails. Believe me it will make you sooooo happy to look down at your toes. Let me know after you have it done. Enjoy the wedding!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

deadsy,

I am sorry you have been suffering with fungus for 10 years already, and that is has you worrying about it's impact on your big day. I am sure there are others who can advise your about handling the fungus for that special day, but my experience is more about the longterm impact on your foot health.

Without effective treatment, fungus can lead to infection, and ultimately amputation. It happens more often than you imagine. I would focus more on the long term control of your fungus, than on the paint on them. Keeping your nails free to "breathe: is part of nail health, as well as not exposing them to toxic chemicals on a regular basis.

Thank goodness there are a lot of cute shoes that we can choose to wear without nail polish, and clean natural nails are the new sexy toenail treatment. Wishing you happy feet!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
    Rio2007
    (male)

Rio2007 HB User

I just had the laser treatment for toe fungus today. You can find treatment sites online. I was also told to wear copper socks and an anti-fungus cream on the whole foot 2 times a day. Also all shoes must be clean by sterishoe, online too. After 12 years fighting this mess. this is my last fight before never showing my feet.

Last edited by Rio2007; 07-22-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
    lovemymags
    (female)

lovemymags HB User

I had the laser treatment in November, my podiatrist also recommended the copper socks and the sterishoe sterilizers. I also threw away my sheets and old socks. She advised that I spray my toes with an anti-fungal spray (1% tolnaftate) used to treat athletes foot after showering. I didn't have any luck with the vinegar, vicks, listerine, etc. but this definitely worked for me. Mine is completely gone (I did catch it early and only a small part of my nails was involved) - she trimmed off the last of the bad toenails today and now I have beautiful nails again. As maintenance she recommeded "Formula 3" that you paint on and around the nail and she told me to continue using the anti-fungal spray.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
    vsmom
    (female)

vsmom HB User

Right there with ya sister! God, I hate this fungus. Had it forever, tried everything...it just sucks doesnt it?
    I am saving up for the laser treatment...cant wait. I would say tho, for one day, file the thickness down with a heavy grit file and polish them. I try really hard to avoid polish because I know its not good but every now and again you just need to do it. And dont worry, no one pays as much attention to feet as much as you do! Good luck with the Lamisil treatment. I went thru 2 rounds with little to no success but it does work for some. I hope youre one of them!

Old 10-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
    Rio2007
    (male)

Rio2007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsmom View Post
    Right there with ya sister! God, I hate this fungus. Had it forever, tried everything...it just sucks doesnt it?
    I am saving up for the laser treatment...cant wait. I would say tho, for one day, file the thickness down with a heavy grit file and polish them. I try really hard to avoid polish because I know its not good but every now and again you just need to do it. And dont worry, no one pays as much attention to feet as much as you do! Good luck with the Lamisil treatment. I went thru 2 rounds with little to no success but it does work for some. I hope youre one of them!
    I had 2 round with lamsil too but fungus came back. I tried laser too and no help. Keeping the nail filed willl have to do for me and you are right now many people look at your feet. Also you must treat the whole foot

Closed Thread