It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Toe nail (including nail root) fell off

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
    DK2323
    (female)

DK2323 HB User
    Toe nail (including nail root) fell off

Hi, I ran a really long road race last week and got a huge blister on my middle toe that covered pretty much the entire tip of the toe. The blister stretched from the most distal tip of the toe to just proximal to the toenail. The toenail itself was on *top* of the blister. After a few days, the blister shrank a bit and I could see that the loosened skin included the entire toenail and a squared-off portion of nail underneath the cuticle (I am assuming this is the nail root). When I got home, I lanced the blister and removed the dead skin, which included the entire visible and hidden portions of the nail. I looked at the nail under a microscope and there was no trauma to the nail itself (it was whole), but there was a little bit of blood on the skin at the base of the nail, although there was no blood when I lanced the blister. Removing the skin which included the toenail wasn't painful at all.

Now that it is removed, my toe is very pink and awfully sensitive. I let it dry out and have been keeping a bandaid on it since I have to wear close-toed shoes to work. The skin looks healthy around where the nail should be and underneath where the nail used to be.

I run a lot and lose toenails all the time, so that isn't a big deal to me, but I've never lost one that includes the root. Will it grow back? Is there anything I need to do in order to make sure that the toe doesn't become infected? I don't see any signs of infection now, and as I said, there was no blood or pain when I removed the nail so I don't think there is an open wound anywhere. The skin that was underneath the blister had a few days to thicken and heal before the blister was lanced.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice? What can I expect for that toe and toenail?

Thanks,
    Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
    Interventionist
    (female)

Interventionist HB User
    Re: Toe nail (including nail root) fell off

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DK2323 View Post
    Hi, I ran a really long road race last week and got a huge blister on my middle toe that covered pretty much the entire tip of the toe. The blister stretched from the most distal tip of the toe to just proximal to the toenail. The toenail itself was on *top* of the blister. After a few days, the blister shrank a bit and I could see that the loosened skin included the entire toenail and a squared-off portion of nail underneath the cuticle (I am assuming this is the nail root). When I got home, I lanced the blister and removed the dead skin, which included the entire visible and hidden portions of the nail. I looked at the nail under a microscope and there was no trauma to the nail itself (it was whole), but there was a little bit of blood on the skin at the base of the nail, although there was no blood when I lanced the blister. Removing the skin which included the toenail wasn't painful at all.

Now that it is removed, my toe is very pink and awfully sensitive. I let it dry out and have been keeping a bandaid on it since I have to wear close-toed shoes to work. The skin looks healthy around where the nail should be and underneath where the nail used to be.

I run a lot and lose toenails all the time, so that isn't a big deal to me, but I've never lost one that includes the root. Will it grow back? Is there anything I need to do in order to make sure that the toe doesn't become infected? I don't see any signs of infection now, and as I said, there was no blood or pain when I removed the nail so I don't think there is an open wound anywhere. The skin that was underneath the blister had a few days to thicken and heal before the blister was lanced.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice? What can I expect for that toe and toenail?

Thanks,
    Dana
    Dana,
    The same exact thing happened to me... I saw that no one ever replied to you ...
    Did it ever grow back?
    I hope so!
    Thanks!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
    DK2323
    (female)

DK2323 HB User
    Re: Toe nail (including nail root) fell off

Hello Interventionist, it did eventually grow back, although it had lots of ridges in it. It was a long time before it started to grow, ridges and all -- 6 months perhaps -- but since then, it's been growing at a normal pace. Prior to the nail growing back, the skin on my toe hardened somewhat where the nail had been, so it wasn't a completely vulnerable toe.

Good luck! I hope that helps.

Dana

Closed Thread