It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Infected toenail removed, but still troublesome.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
    Rubylula
    (female)

Rubylula HB User
    Infected toenail removed, but still troublesome.

I'd been suffering from a fungal infection for months, but as I am very scared of hospitals, I put off getting it looked at professionally. Eventually the doctor decided it would be best for me to have both of my big toenails removed, but I only managed to cope with having my left one removed. (The anesthetic didn't work & when it was removed it wouldn't stop bleeding.) I was given antibiotics & the infection disappeared from my right nail with ease, but the left was very sensitive & the nail has taken over a year to grow back. I presumed that it was normal for the toe to remain sensitive & when my antibiotics ran out, I didn't get anymore.

The end of the nail on my right toe is still very discoloured & brittle, but I can see the top of the nail that is growing is healthy. Sadly my left toe is now extremely painful & sensitive. There are large lumps of red skin down each side of the new nail that bleed & weep regularly. I clean it twice a day, cover it in Germolene & change the dressing but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm sure that it's not infected, it's just that because the nail took so long to grow back, the skin isn't used to pressure down the sides. Or the nail might be ingrown, I'm not sure. (I haven't seen my toes looking healthy in so long, I've forgotten what normal nails look like!)

I'd really like to know if there is anything I can do to stop the nail digging into my toe so that the skin can recover. I'm suffer from very bad anxiety problems, so I'd really like to avoid going to a Doctor, but if I have to I am willing. I just really don't want to have to get the nail removed again & I am worried that when my right nail grows back, the same thing will happen. Whenever I seem to be making progress, I accidentally catch it on something & it swells up again.

Sorry if this is complicated, but I'd really love some help. This has been going on for over a year & I'm so worried.
    Thank-you in advance.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-27-2011 at 08:53 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rubylula:
    Ms Byrd (08-07-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
    renko
    Veteran
    (female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
    Re: Infected toenail removed, but still troublesome.

Hi, I read your post and wanted to encourage you to go back to a good foot doctor. I had an ingrown toenail last week and it hurt so badly and I knew I had to go to the doctor. I soaked it in epsom salt and put antibiotic on it and a bandaid but the nail was digging into the foot bed. I am so sorry you are having trouble with your toes. There is an option for the doctor to kill the nail bed and then no nail will grow back. You the doctor about this. You don't want an infection and I was scared and anxious about the shot but the doctor put cold spray on it and told me to breathe in and out slowly and she gave me a shot and it wasn't bad at all. It did hurt for a few seconds but I feel so much better since the ingrown has been cut out. Best wishes and please contact someone you will confident in to fix your problem for good.

Closed Thread