It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Blood streak growing under nail (is Marti still on this board?)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
    poppetface
    (female)

poppetface HB User
    Blood streak growing under nail (is Marti still on this board?)

Hi All,

I've had a line of (what I have recently worked out to be blood) growing with my nail for the last couple of years, probably 3 years now. The first time I noticed it I thought it was a splinter and assumed it would grow out with my nail, it looks like it's going to, but starts again once the last line has disappeared. Once the blood streak hits beyond my nail, it has a wooden, splinter-like texture to it.

I thought little of it so did nothing this whole time until I had a recent physical.

I showed it to my doctor, she referred me to a dermatologist who feels it might not be a nail melanoma but feels it needs to be checked by a hand surgeon. I have an appointment for next month.

In the meantime, of course I freaked and did masses of research on the internet. The majority of posts about a "splinter hemorrhage" (which this looks exactly like) say it will grow out with the nail but this is not so with me, it starts again.

Other factors that make me think I am not at high risk for a melanoma are the width of this, it is under 1mm and has remained that size from day one. I've read that nail melanomas are usually 3mm and wider and they widen as they age.

I read some comforting posts by Marti from a few years back, wondering if she is still on this board?

Anyone's comments would be very welcomed. Thank you all for reading...

j

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread