It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Toenails fungus or not,who to believe to?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
    mia0778
    (female)

mia0778 HB User
    Unhappy Toenails fungus or not,who to believe to?

I don't even know where to begin: my problem started years back with an injury to my big toenail. It got black and fell off, sadly the new one grew an ugly one and soon enough the big toenail on my other foot developed the same thick, yellowish look.
    I was told I had fungus, I was prescribed strong antibiotics which did the trick. My nails were clear from infection for a year or so but because of the damaging to the liver effect of the antibiotics I did not repeat them.
    And its been a battle from that moment on-I had to remove both of my toenails on my own because they would become loose, then they were growing ugly.
    I also had acrylic toenails for a while just to cover the ugly ones I had but all I have always wanted is to bring back my healthy toenails.
    I recently moved to Canada, I got a referral and I went to a podiatrist- he said we should remove the nails for good and you should wear acrylic for the rest of your life (quite shocking really). I was given some nail la ***** to apply and a cream but the area became really itchy and I developed eczema on my foot. As soon as I stopped the two prescribed, the eczema healed. I was referred to a dermatologist who sent a toenail sample to the lab and the result showed no fungus?!
    Go figure it out, he prescribed a lotion to massage the toenails and to try to moisturize the area underneath as well. Well, so many months later there is not even the slightest improvement.
    My GP wants to remove my nails and see if they grow healthy. Gee, I do not know who to believe and what to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
    Re: Toenails fungus or not,who to believe to?

Hello mia0778.

I also had some bouts with toenail fungus. The fungus on my toenails also had a thick, yellowish appearance.

Was Lamsil the strong antibiotic you took? I've had some success with topical treatments but Lamsil has also been the most successful treatment for me. The topical treatments did make a difference but wasn't enough to eliminate the fungus entirely. As far as using topical treatments my doctor recommended I use a liquid solution instead of cream.

My doctor also recommended to try to keep my feet as dry as possible. He suggested I wear cotton socks and use foot powder in the morning.

I hope this helps. If you haven't I suggest buying an over the counter liquid treatment for toenail fungus and see if that makes a difference. I don't think it works as well as Lamsil but I haven't had any skin problems from using the liquid topical treatments.

Last edited by flamesabers; 03-29-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Typo

Closed Thread