It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Tore off half my toenail!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
    Zipity
    (female)

Zipity HB User
    Tore off half my toenail!!

A few days ago I was actually "picking" at my toenails, the second smallest, my ring toenail if you will. Its a bad habit I have instead of clipping them. I pulled at the corner of the nail thinking a small sliver would come off, but it pulled off the whole way down to the cuticle. i didn't realize it until it had come off half way across the nail. So I stopped and clipped off the part that was hanging off. So now about 1/3 of my nail is gone and the skin underneath is exposed. It doesn't hurt but I'm concerned about crud getting under there and having it get infected or something. I guess I'm going to just cover it with a bandaid until it grows back. But does anyone else have any other tips?

Also would there be a reason my nail came off that easily? It just seemed to be so brittle. And the nail pulled off the skin like THAT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
    Re: Tore off half my toenail!!

Hello Zipity.

There could be several different reasons as to why your toenail is brittle. One reason could be is you're not getting adequate amount of nutrients in your diet. If you use nail polish remover on your toenails that could be another reason. Are your other toenails also brittle?

As far as keeping your toenail bed free of infections my advice would be to keep your feet as dry as possible.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If it didn't bleed, you should be safe from infection. Just check it when you shower for the next few days.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
    Zipity
    (female)

Zipity HB User

I have used nail polish remover on them. And I had fake press on toenails on and I noticed the glue dried my nails out. Maybe that was it.

Yeah it was weird that it didn't bleed. I was expecting to look down and see tons of blood but there was nothing. It's not really even red!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There are a lot of layers to the toenail, and there's this thin piece of something between the nail and nail bed. Maybe you didn't tear all the way down!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
    Zipity
    (female)

Zipity HB User

Well I took a closer look (I was afraid to look!) And the side 1/3 of toenail is gone so it's just skin underneath but it looks like there is less than 1/4 inch of nail at the cuticle that is still attached. So it didn't come off completely but almost. I tore it pretty far, but clipped off the 1/3 of the nail myself so there is still a piece that's "loose" so to speak. I'm keeping a bandaid on it especially at night because it gets caught on my blanket.

Closed Thread