It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• problem with finger nail - cut produced weird growing nail

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
    angelito
    (male)

angelito HB User
    problem with finger nail - cut produced weird growing nail

This is my first time on this board and wanted to see if I could get some feedback about an issue that I had about 15 years ago and not it is repeating itself and it is leaving me a bit concerned.

I have always had pretty strong nails. I do however bite them and sometimes mess excessively with my cuticles and skin around the nail (yes, bad habit).

Sometimes, my cuticles would grow rough and I used several things to cut them off. Well, about 15 years ago I remember I was using carefully an exact o knife applying very little pressure and it worked like a charm. I made a habit out of doing that (I know...I know).

During a careless moment, I applied a little too much pressure and actually cut into it. I tried to remove the piece but ended up causing more damage. Within days, the cuticle seemed to have gotten stuck to the fingernail...eventually, the nail began growing funny...as if the finger nail was skin growing towards a scab...pulling in. This is what it looks like today, 15 years later.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...G/photo3-4.jpg

It was painful for several weeks and I often got it caught (it basically split the nail in 2 as it grows) in clothing, and other places. I eventually learned to live with it obviously.

Well, about a month ago, I made the same dumb mistake. I had almost forgotten how it happened the first time but this quickly brought memories. Here is a picture of the other nail I did this too.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...G/photo1-4.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...G/photo2-3.jpg

At age 37, I don't want to have to go through this again...so my question is,...is this fixable? Can I go to the dermatologist and tell them what happened and can they remove the nail - and would it grow correctly after that?

How bad is my other one messed up? Can it be fixed if it is removed?...Would it grow back? I know I should have gotten this addressed way way before, but, here I am now.

Thanks for any constructive feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread