It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• having trouble recovering from an ingrown nail

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
    friendlydude
    (male)

friendlydude HB User
    having trouble recovering from an ingrown nail

I've been cutting my ingrown nails for the last few years when I realized doctor treatments would be too costly and frequent (at least 3 times a year with a 400-dollar surgery for each visit).

One ingrown nail in particular- on my big toe on my right foot (on the right side) has been causing a problem. Even though I cut away enough of the regular nail and removed the ingrown nail, it's not healing anymore. At least, it's not healing this time around.

You see I cut away the ingrown nail using these special-shaped nail clippers that have been REALLY convenient for me, and in my case it's perfectly normal for my toe to become swollen, shiny red and drain yellow liquid after I go through with the self-surgery, but in this case... several weeks have gone by and all the conditions have remained. It makes me wonder why it's not healing.

Instead I wake up every day with dried up blood in the corner right where I cut the ingrown nail, and when I go to remove the blood there's pus underneath that drips for a minute or so. I'm good until the blood and liquid comes back the next day, and I have to re-do the process of wiping it away all over again. The build-up of blood and liquid causes minor throbbing and itchiness. This has been going on for several weeks now.

Also, there's a strong TERRIBLE smell associated with the blood and pus that makes me think it's infected even though I really can't say for certain. Is this normal? How do I fix it for good? Is it possible that I didn't remove the ingrown nail entirely and there's a small particle of it left deep inside? I mean I really dug as far as I could and didn't come across any more nail. I don't know what else I can do. I definitely do NOT want to make the mistake of cutting too close to the nail bed like I did last year. Oh boy that didn't feel very good!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
    headset
    (male)

headset HB User
    Re: having trouble recovering from an ingrown nail

With an ingrown toe nail a fungal infection is possbile and based on what you are describing you have a fungal infection there are OTC products at your drugstore you must treat the toe 2 times a day I also suggest you Soak your feet in epsom salt few times a week The inflmation aound the toe nail do not cut or pick at it apply the fungabl remover this will reduce the infllamation and this will aid in reducing the ingrown toe nail
    or you can go to your Doctor and get a prescription Lamasil

Closed Thread