It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• pale fingernails, white band

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
    huclya
    (female)

huclya HB User
    pale fingernails, white band

Hello,

For some time now I have started to see changes in my nails. Back when I was a teenager, I used to have weak, soft nails that broke and split a lot. Since then, I have been taking a lot of vitamins, eating healthily and working out (btw, I am a female in my mid twenties, not over or underweight!). My nails no longer break, nor do they split.
    However, where I used to see that my nail tips as they grew out tended to go up a little bit (my ferritin was around 22 then so I suspect very slight spooning) since I started taking iron supplements last year that has disappeared.
    Ever since, there have been two major changes: 1. on my two index fingers the nail seems to be now growing down instead. It looks as if the part that is growing out has been slammed with a book or something, because it is flat and curling slightly down. I do not have clubbing.
    2. My nails are very pale, they seem to be almost white at times and sometimes even have white bands going horizontally across them - which you can hopefully see on the photo as it is not very clear. This colour is not part of the nail itself: it disappears when I press my fingers down on a surface. Also, the "whiteness" on my index fingers (where it is most pronounced) seems to mostly go away when I bend my fingers. When I straighten them out the whiteness comes back full force - again see photo: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/members/huclya-albums-nails-picture1870-phot2o.jpg.

Does anyone know what this is? Some kind of nutritional deficiency/toxicity? Any advice? The doctors here when I ask them don't seem to know anything about nails or don't think it is at all important..
    Thanks

Last edited by huclya; 11-14-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added link to photo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread