It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• My toenail separated from nailbed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
    JD4130
    (male)

JD4130 HB User
    My toenail separated from nailbed

Hello!

So I feel that I have a bit of a strange issue here and am a bit concerned. Lets start this long story from the beginning 22 or 23 years ago I can't exactly remember my age at the time I damaged my big toe by kicking the floor on accident. I can't remember if my toenail fell off or not but I do remember a ton of blood and as a result of my injury my toenail always grew split from the cuticle to the end if my toenail. (Vertically) I never paid it any attention an just lived with the crack in my nail until this morning. I'm now 28 and as I was cleaning my toenail this morning I notice that the scraper on my clippers went completely under my nail on the left side of the split all the way to the cuticle. I have also notice a bit of thickening in my nail witch I believe is a fungus issue? Any who, I proceeded to clip the separated nail as much as possible and was looking for advice, thoughts, etc. I'm not experiencing any pain or discomfort but am a bit worried. I also can't afford to go to the doctor and don't have medical insurance at the moment. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: My toenail separated from nailbed

This IS probably caused by a nail fungus which is ugly, but not going to hurt you....all you can do at this point is wait for it to grow back, which will take time, but eventually it will.
    You can pick up some Tea Tree oil, which is inexpensive and a natural anti-fungal, at any healthfood store, use it nightly on the nail and the sourrunding area and it will help kill the fungus while the nail grows back.
    Keep the area clean and dry...when you get out of the shower, make sure you are drying off the area around your toe extremely well- try using a blow dryer on your toe to get all the extra moisture out...
    good luck!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
    JD4130
    (male)

JD4130 HB User
    Re: My toenail separated from nailbed

Is there any way to get the nail to grow as one again or am I always going to have the crack down the center? Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Closed Thread