HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Nail Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/)
-   -   Yellow, brittle, painful toe nails I'm only 29! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/nail-problems/954403-yellow-brittle-painful-toe-nails-im-only-29-a.html)

RosiePPP 06-27-2013 03:54 AM

Yellow, brittle, painful toe nails I'm only 29!

Hello there (Marti?),
Please please could you help. I've had a problem with my toesnails which started about 3 years ago now and has increased to the point where I'm getting upset to be honest. I can't get my feet out in the summer, and now its spread to my fingers, its horrible.

I'm very healthy and eat well, I'm sure it cannot be a vitamin deficiency!

My two big toes are the worst; they're yellow and brittle towards the last half, with the area towards the cuticle looking quite pink and sore. 3 tests at the doctors have come back NOT fungal! All my toes are affected and I have to put layers and layers of nail varnish on to cover it up. By my big toes are also sore with it. I have to wear shoes that are too big so that they don't touch my nails. Even my slippers hurt and summer canvas pumps are a no no.

My fingers have been affected for about a year now. Not as yellow by far, but I'm sure they will go that way. They are brittle and flake, have white flaking at the ends yellower towards the middle and the area towards the cubical looks pink, but not in a normal healthy pink way, in a sign of infection type of way, sore.

I wear nail varnish on my fingers every day, but because of the flaking, I have to re-apply every day! I have a full time job and two children, its so hard to maintain!

Please please please advise! This is unbearable!
Thank you so much in advance
Rosie x

Jkool 06-27-2013 05:44 AM

Re: Yellow, brittle, painful toe nails I'm only 29!

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"][QUOTE]i dont know what it is either im well in my young age like 14 and my pinkie toe nails are yellowish flakey and hurt to i just some times cut all the way off it doesnt hurt since there are to flakey![/QUOTE][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Jkool 06-27-2013 05:49 AM

I might know what your problem is do you smoke?

RosiePPP 06-27-2013 05:52 AM

Hiya :)
I'm a social smoker, only when I'm drinking...I really don't think its that...
I hope you find a cure!!

Jkool 06-27-2013 06:17 AM

ok it is only your nails that flake and yellow right and are your fingers a little yellow? :blob_fire

RosiePPP 06-27-2013 06:20 AM

No, no yellow fingers, I probably only have 10 cigarettes a week at most!

Jkool 06-27-2013 06:27 AM

ok this might be it my dad had the same thing im sorry i cant give you a name on it though because i dont know it though ALL though i dont think this it because u dont smoke alot and my smoked 20 cigs a day i swear

RosiePPP 06-27-2013 06:33 AM

No worries, but thank you! x

noevr 06-27-2013 06:36 AM

Hi have you had your thyroid checked? Also a complete blood work up? Something has to be causing it. Cathy

RosiePPP 06-27-2013 06:39 AM

Hi Cathy, after doing some research and the samples coming back as non fungal, I asked the doctor to do some blood tests. They all came back fine. Its so frustrating! But thank you for your input :) x

Jkool 06-27-2013 06:44 AM

go to an dermatologist they will tell you!:wave::round::wave:

noevr 06-27-2013 06:46 AM

You know what? I bet if you went to one of those (or a couple) nail places those ladies may be able to help you figure it out.

Or what about a dermatologist? Cathy

Jkool 06-27-2013 06:51 AM

my mom works at a dermatologist place here in South Dakota and when he comes home i will ask her about it:bouncing:

RosiePPP 06-27-2013 06:59 AM

Thank you both! I am waiting to be referred by my doc...its a long old process right!! x

Jkool 06-27-2013 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=RosiePPP;5192838]Thank you both! I am waiting to be referred by my doc...its a long old process right!! x[/QUOTE]

I feel ya here:eek::dizzy::blob_fire