It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Grow out nails?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
    Luvz
    (female)

Luvz HB User
    Grow out nails?

Hello.

I'm just going to get right down to the point.
    My school starts in 3 1/2 to 4 weeks and I have a problem. For a few years now, I've been biting my nails. It's gotten really bad. My nails are about 1/4 of an inch beneath the finger tips. It's bothered me, of course, but not until recently have I been obsesing over it. I've tried using artificial nails, but my nails are to short for the adhesive to attach to. I'm currently trying the technique of just painting them, and if I see the paint starting to chip from my gnawing, I'll re-apply. The only thing is: I HATE the look of short nails painted. I am willing to extend my 'time limit' of growing my nails, but I would absolutely LOVE to have them looking great by the time school starts again. I guess what I'm asking is this:

1) How can I break the habit?
    2) How can I strengthen my nails? (If a product is needed, please list it.)
    3) Is it possible to grow out my nails to slightly above the finger tip within my time limit? If so, what should I do, and what should I use? ( I play guitar so they can't be longer than that really.)
    4) What techniques can I use to keep me from biting?
    5) I would very much appreciate it if you have any other ideas for getting my nails ship-shape to add these tips as well.

Thank you for your time. I would love love love if someone could get back to me within this week, givin I have a time limit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Grow out nails?

Luvz,
    Its going to take retraining your brain to really be successful at this. You can buy things in the stores to make your nails harder and stronger- but you can also explore having them done professionally, acrylic or gel nails are hard as rocks, and you wont be biting through them. It doesnt matter how short they are now, they will extend them if done in a reputable shop....but its expensive, and if you want them really short, youre going to be spending alot of money to only add 1/4 inch to them. If its worth it to you, investigate this.

As for not biting them in general, you can apply bitters to your fingers, which everytime you put them in your mouth, will burn- and quite possibly deter you from biting....there are other products besides bitters on the market for children to keep their hands out of their mouths, check the nail section and the baby section of your local store...
    Good luck

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you been to a manicurist to see what they can do? There are many options out there to help them grow out.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
    Luvz
    (female)

Luvz HB User

Thank you. I am very much interested in investigating further. I appreciate you time. I will most definitely take your advice.~

Closed Thread

Tags
    nails