It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Does this sound fungal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
    auxano
    (female)

auxano HB User
    Does this sound fungal?

For the past couple of years my thumb nail has been weird.
    The problem is only on the lower third of the nail (near where you cut the nail), with the other 2/3 of nail is looking healthy. I will describe it:

Slight yellowish colour, some times part of the nail appears white as though it has lifted, although it usually grows out ok once cut and is attached again. When I cut the nail there is a lot of debris under nail. If I smell the nail it stinks. Once every couple of weeks my nail is very tender - this lasts a couple of days then is ok. The skin on the tip of my thumb is reddish and often peels.

I have tried over the counter varnishes, soaking in vinegar, tea tree oil...even had one session of nail laser. None of these made a difference. My Dr had me get the nail tested for fungus, which came back not showing much.

I am tempted to do another round of laser treatment, but as there is only one place in my country that will treat fingernails, it is a huge cost to get to the city.

If you don't think this sounds like fungus, do you have any other suggestions. I need to go back to the dr (who doesn't seem to know much as tests don't show much), but as I've had it for 2 years now I'm so sick of having it.
    I don't think it has got any worse in 2yrs and hasn't spread, but I really want to fix it!

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
    Re: Does this sound fungal?

Hello auxano.

I think the yellowish color and the debris under the nail sounds like it's fungal. However, my experience with nail fungus has always been on the toenails and when left untreated, it always spreads and gets worse. For fungal treatments I recommend lamisil, though it can be hard on the liver.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
    auxano
    (female)

auxano HB User

really don't want to try Lamisil but wondering if anyone has had luck with laser. Like I said I had one lot of Laser and it obviously didn't help it.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
    talltree
    (male)

talltree HB User

It certainly sounds like nail fungus but it is curious that the tests "don't show much." That happened to me on my toenails (the tests were inconclusive) but a terbinafine course of treatment cleared up 9 of the 10 nails. The tenth looked very different than the others and I am still not sure what is up with that one.

Closed Thread