It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Thick nail, separating on only 1 finger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
    LPR1978
    (male)

LPR1978 HB User
    Thick nail, separating on only 1 finger

My 11 year old daughter has a problem with her big finger. About 3 years ago the nail started to look infected - getting very thick, lifting from bed, white growth under the nail, and the skin around looking swollen and red. We took her to 2 different dermatologists. Both time a biopsy was done and came back negative for fungal infection. Neither dermatologist made any suggestions regarding potential treatment since they cannot establish a diagnosis.

3 years has passed and no changes. Still only 1 nail affected neither better nor worse. The girl is getting to that age where the unsightly appearance begins to bother her more, yet we have no idea what to do. We are considering removing the nail and letting a new one grow. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
    LPR1978
    (male)

LPR1978 HB User
    Re: Thick nail, separating on only 1 finger

A couple of pictures of the nail:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10192341253/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10192254745/

Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Thick nail, separating on only 1 finger

I would ask for fungal scrapings of the material under nail and if negative a fungal culture (can take 4-6 weeks to get growth and results). It sure sounds like fungal infection and a 3 months course of antifungal medication, like Lamisil (terbenafine) could clear it up completely and be less traumatic than nail removal. It just slowly grows out looking normal as the med is continued, so you can see it is working by about two weeks, and just have to let it completely grow out, be cut off, and voila! a normal nail.

Closed Thread

Tags
    nail, nail bed