It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• free end of my fingernails curves up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
    shellsbells54
    (female)

shellsbells54 HB User
    Unhappy free end of my fingernails curves up

I have a problem with the free end of my fingernails sloping up it grows. I have been looking for information on this, and I'm finding dribs and drabs of different things. I have read they're called "duck bill" or "Ski slope" nails, that it's something you're born with and that there's nothing you can do about it. On the other end of the spectrum, I found information that makes me wonder if it's something I have been doing for years that may have damaged the matrix of my nail. They are not spoon nails caused by an iron deficiency either. I have researched the heck out of that, and my nails look nothing like those I have seen which result from iron deficiency. My nails have a healthy look and color, and they have nice curve over the nail bed until they grow and develop the free end. Then, instead of a nice natural down curve, they slope up, and if they grow too long (less than 1/4 inch) they break on both sides right where the free end had started to develop. When doing my own manicures, I have always tended (for years) to go below the cuticle somewhat and gently scrape away the white "skin" that was kind of stuck to the nail, as well as scraping/cleaning the sides in a similar manner, and then trim the cuticle. Could that have damaged my nail matrix and be causing my nails to grow this way?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread