It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Horizontal ridges or bumpy/lumpy nails - Beau's lines or just trauma?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
    hungrybabydino
    (female)

hungrybabydino HB User
    Horizontal ridges or bumpy/lumpy nails - Beau's lines or just trauma?

Hi there,

I'm in my early 20s, and as long as I can remember, my nails have always been the way they are right now. I've noticed many ladies with lovely nails that have a wonderful curvature to it, but mine are rather flat and wide.

To add insult to injury, my nails are 'lumpy' or 'bumpy'. I don't believe I have vertical ridges, but I am quite certain I have horizontal ridges. There are several bumps to each nail and towards the tip of the nail, if it is growing out, it will curve over the edge of my finger.

I would consider myself physically fit (although I do not exercise much), I am neither overweight nor underweight. I do not suffer from any illnesses and the worst I've ever been was when I was diagnosed with meningitis as a few days or weeks old baby. That I do not recall but my parents have told me that it was the case. When growing up, I do know that I was careless and have caught my fingers while closing cupboards or doors, but this was only maybe 2 or 3 times and even then, not all my fingers were impacted. My fingernails have never fallen off before and I have never bitten them.

I maintain a healthy diet of carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, protein and dairy, and I do take my daily dosage of vitamins via Surbex-Z which has a chock full of minerals and vitamins. I clip and file my nails short once every 2 weeks because I find them rather ugly if they grow long. However, even if there is a little bit of extra growth over the edge of my finger, if I apply pressure to the tips of the nail, they bend down easily. They used to flake and were even bendier last time but I've made it a point to take my Surbex-Z consistently daily and it has helped a little. I also use nail strengtheners and hardeners once in awhile to help, but I am not sure how effective they are.

I am not someone who constantly has their nails painted either - for me it is a treat to visit the manicurist once every few months. Sometimes I might paint them myself but I am often short on time and I would say I spend more than 90% of my time nail polish free. And no, I've not done any gel-ish or fake nails or acrylics ever; they are too fanciful and I don't understand how they work either.

I've not seen a GP for the longest time ever since I have not fallen seriously ill, but even if I did, I am also am unsure whether they are able to answer such specific questions about my nails. I've asked nail technicians on the rare occasions I do get my nails done up whether they thought I have some sort of fungal infection and all of them have told me they think I do not have any sort of fungal infection, maybe just weak nails.

I've read from online that Beau's nails are a 'natural phenomenon' which usually is a result of some internal or external trauma. However, I've also read that supposedly, the 'traumatised' area of the nail is supposed to grow out. Unfortunately, for as long as I can remember, my nails have always been lumpy/bumpy and they have never grown out. The bumps have remained in the same position since forever.

I know that maybe having photos might help people in visualizing what my issues are, but if you feel like you know what condition I have or what is wrong with my nails from the description I've provided thus far, do please leave a reply. I'm at my wit's end because I've had both family, loved ones and friends all commenting on how 'weird' and 'strange' my fingernails are and while they try to be polite with me, I know it is rather off-putting and they are just not very pleasant to look at.

Also, if you have any more questions or would actually like photos, let me know and I'll do what I can. I just don't want people feeling disgusted looking at my nails! I'd also love if you can provide some tips on how else I can improve or cure my nail condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread