It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• My Toenail got separated from the nail bed because of an injury. Will it fall?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
    diyasharma1987
    (female)

diyasharma1987 HB User
    My Toenail got separated from the nail bed because of an injury. Will it fall?

Hi ,

About 3 weeks back , I stubbed my toe hard on a wooden door.The nail on my big toe on the right foot got separated from the nail bed almost completely (till the cuticle).The sides of the nail had popped out from under the skin.
    I was able to see the gap between my nail and the nail bed till the cuticle level and it was covered with blood.Hence I rushed to the emergency care. The doctor there cleaned the blood and tucked in the sides of my nail which had popped out , and pushed the nail back to its original position.She then placed a gauze on my nail and secured it tight with a tape. She told me the nail would eventually fall off as the new nail starts growing out and it will be replaced by the new nail. She said it could take from 6 months up to a year for the nail to completely grow. Till then the old nail will act as a protective barrier for my nail bed since an exposed nail bed is prone to infections . She told me to clean it everyday with soap and water and tape it again.The first few days there was a clear liquid oozing out from my nail. Now its been 3 weeks since the injury.The nail looks very normal.The oozing has stopped. I dont have feel any pain . (It hurt only the first 2-3 days). There is no gap between the nail and the nail bed and my nail is not loose or anything.It almost looks like how it used to look before the injury except for some marks in the skin around my nail . Does this mean my nail is ok? Has it stuck back to the nail bed? Or will it fall later? If it is going to fall , will the whole nail fall at once? Or will it gradually be pushed up as the new nail grows out? In other words , I simply would like to know if I will ever have to be with a bare nail bed without the nail? Please advise.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread