It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Help My grandma's nail is growing weirdly

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-16-2015, 04:08 AM   #1
    eek301
    (male)

eek301 HB User
    Red face Help My grandma's nail is growing weirdly

My grandma began to realise that her nail began to grow weirdly with slightly yellowish liquid coming out from the cuticle. she went to the doctors and got tested for infections but they said that it was not infected and they do not know why. so, she is planning to "take" out her nail and figure out what is wrong with it. but can you guys please help me figure out what's wrong with my grandma's nail? i

Thank you.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-16-2015 at 07:42 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to eek301:
    yayagirl (02-16-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Help My grandma's nail is growing weirdly

Your Grandma could have a cyst from finger arthritis at the base of her nail. These arise from the affected joint. She should have an ultrasound of her finger joint and nailbed to look for arthritis and a cyst. It is not necessary to remove the nail. The cysts can become infected, and hence the joint, so she should not pick at it or do anything to it. Cysts can be surgically removed but are very prone to reappear. She should not get artificial nails either, as they can cause fungal infections, so seeing a hand surgeon is her best bet, not getting the nail removed, and leaving it alone, keeping it clean, and getting an ultrasound done.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    yayagirl (02-16-2015)
    Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Help My grandma's nail is growing weirdly

Oh that is an eek situation!!!

I agree that the nail should definitely NOT be removed. The nail will be damaged and no longer protect her finger.

I would not seek a surgeon, myself. This doesn't seem urgent. Some kind of inflammation does seem to be going on but I have had occurrences similar to hers and resolved them by soaking my hand in warm very salty water, then drying the hand and applying Aloe Vera.

It could be that she got a teensy little sticker no one can feel or see under the skin. For instance a tiny plant thorn can cause the symptoms she has until the irritant has been soaked out of the skin. Soaking will help draw an irritant out.

Your grandma can soak her hand in warm very salty water or epsom salt water for 1/2 hour, then rinse, dry, and apply a thin coat of aloe vera. She might need to do this three or four times for a few days. But once usually does the trick for me.

This has always resolved my fingernail issues. If she will try doing what I suggest, let me know how it turns out.

If her finger turns a definite red (not caused from warm water), is very hot or has a definite red line (like a line drawn with a red magic marker), then get her back to a doctor right away. But if her finger skin is basically normal color and temperature, I think you can safely try the warm water soak and aloe vera and see if the problem will clear up.

Definitely she should NOT pick at the nail or try to remove it!

Last edited by yayagirl; 02-16-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    fingernail fungus, infection, nail cuticle infection, unknown cause