It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• melanoma under toenail?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
    andim
    (female)

andim HB User
    melanoma under toenail?

I have had a black spot under my toenail for 5 months. I have been on medication for 4 months treating it as fungus but it is only looking worse. It is becoming darker with weird colors in the middle and the skin by the cuticle is getting dark. My toe has not hurt at all until the last couple of weeks,now it aches sometimes. I have an appointment with a podiatrist on Monday but I am curious if anyone else has experienced these symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: melanoma under toenail?

It is possible to get a melanoma under the nail, so it is good you are getting this checked. In fact, I would get a second opinion from a dermatologist if there is any doubt whatsoever. Fungal infections cause the nail to get thick, yellow and brittle, often ridged, so if the nail itself looks normal, it probably isn't fungus. A biopsy should be done if any question of melanoma.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
    andim
    (female)

andim HB User

The nail is actually pulling away from the skin but is not getting thicker or turning yellow. Thanks for replying, just need someone to talk to right now. The wait is killing me, I'm so nervous!!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Another thing that can cause a black spot under nail is a "blood blister", usually from some trauma to the nail with bleeding underneath it. That can be identified from melanoma, because it moves forward with growth of the nail, where a melanoma does not. Blood under nail can lift it up. Good luck. I hope it is just that and nothing else.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
    andim
    (female)

andim HB User

It has been dark (brown/black) for about 5 months. It is still brown at the cuticle and now the skin on the toe next to the cuticle is turning the same color. Thanks for all of the information. I thought my appointment was Monday but it is 2 weeks from Monday.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would try to get it moved up, maybe someone will cancel and open up an earlier appointment.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Its uncommon but possible. A dermatologist can be scheduled to see you.

Reply Reply