It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board

• Hyponychium Problems

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
    babyhen67
    (female)

babyhen67 HB User
    Hyponychium Problems

Hello All, I have been having severe problems with the layer of skin under my fingernails for about 8 months, since I cut my nails way too short. The nails split down the middle on three digits and healed after 3-4 months. However, the fibrous skin under the nail is now "growing" into the distal aspect of multiple fingertips which is extremely painful. The greatest issue is that it is difficult to see this happening without "digging" into the skin with a sharp object, which is what I did initially to discover that there were fibrous roots growing from the edge of the nail into the tip of the finger. I went to a dermatologist, very embarrassed about this, and he told me the fingertips were inflamed which was causing swelling of the fingertips which, in turn was giving the hyponychium the opportunity to embed into the skin. He recommended that I allow the nails to grow out past the fingertips, apply ice and steroid cream to reduce swelling and the problem would resolve. I have tried this, but the hyponychium "roots" are painful and I have a VERY difficult time avoiding the urge to get them out. I have spent hours on the internet trying to find any information about this crazy ailment and have not been able to find a thing, which is reinforcing my embarrassment in having this problem. I feel as though this is some type of delusion that I have created and I must be crazy. I started to think the dermatologist was feeling sorry for me and acted like he understood to humor me. Why else would there be no information available on this problem? Anyhow, I am hoping someone out there can help me understand what is happening, hopefully without harsh judgement, and I can finally find some peace of mind as it is really difficult to go through life not being able to pick things up, scrub, grip and do much of anything with my hands without extreme pain. Someone, please help me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply