It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Esophoria

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
    Aforrestp007
    (male)

Aforrestp007 HB User
    Esophoria

Hello all!
    I am a 22 year old male who recently developed esophoria.(An inward crossing of my left eye.). I have had and still have great vision in both eyes (20/20) and only noticed my vision going double a few months ago. It seems to be getting worse but it's hard to say as I try to exercise it with an eye patch and video games. This method does help a bit and I notice after a few hours I can focus further away. I should also mention my double vision only takes place at about 10 feet away and past that distance. After eye excercises I can focus up to 20-30 feet. I should also note that I noticed my vision crossing slightly a few years ago when I would look to my far left. Now the worst areas are when I look down or to the left. If I look up my vision almost corrects itself. I've been to an eye doctor and he said that it could be a virus in my eye muscle, as MG isn't really a probable cause. Any ideas of how to fix my double vision? Or perhaps an idea of what caused it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
    earthworm88
    (female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
    Re: Esophoria

Hi 007,

I don't think Esophoria is the diagnosis based on your description.
    My understanding of your post is that if you look at 10 feet and beyond, you start to see double? Is your double vision horizontal or vertical? (meaning are the images side by side or one on top of the other). If you are having a tough time with distance, chances are you may have Divergence Insufficiency or if you have trouble with near, than you may have Convergence Excess. I would suggest you go to University of Indiana, School of Optometry or the Vision Development Center in Jasper and they will be able to assess your binocular vision thoroughly and give you the proper diagnosis and prognosis. If it is this type of issue, don't worry, with the right guidance in exercises, you will be able to better control the muscles of your eyes and live a normal healthy life!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions! Don't worry, all will be well.

Cheers!

Last edited by mod85; 03-19-2016 at 05:55 AM.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #3
    Aforrestp007
    (male)

Aforrestp007 HB User

It is mostly horizontal, however I can focus vision through the left eye at far distances. When I do so the right eye tends to see a picture which deviates slightly up and mostly horizontal. With objects and faces close to me I usually on most days can focus on them as one image with little issue. However I've noticed if I'm on my phone for a few minutes then it takes a bit for my eyes to focus further away, almost like the muscles are weak and have a hard time readjusting despite the fact they are able to with practice. I have insurance, would that cover going to IU's school of optometry?

Old 03-24-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
    earthworm88
    (female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Hi,

Sounds like you may have some weak eye muscles (right eye), hence they are having a hard time working together. If your insurance has vision coverage, then it should cover this type of examination. Best to call IU Optometry School and ask them if they accept your insurance for a binocular vision test.
    Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Reply Reply