It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Anyone with Vertebrobasilar Circulatory Disoder?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-03-2016, 03:37 AM   #1
    lintek55
    (female)

lintek55 HB User
    Anyone with Vertebrobasilar Circulatory Disoder?

Hi All,
    I'm not new to the boards but I am new to an illness my poor 73 yr.old sister who JUST retired from working all her life came down with. a very bad and quick illness.. it all started with inner ear pain, which then sent her to an ENT who performed multiple tests, which diagnosis was Vestibular Neuritis.
    she lost 60% of her hearing, her eyes are effected, her brain is now effected as if she had a stroke because it's effected her cognitive ability. she's like a child at times and forgets things that happened five minutes ago.
    Then we were sent to a neurologist who is now performing other multiple other tests including pet scan of brain and brain stem, a spinal tap to test for any type of viral or bacterial or a cancer.
    this all happened suddenly. in a matter of months. she now has to use a walker, no more cane, because she keeps falling down from the constant vertigo she's having. an MRA showed two vessels, possibly one an aneurism or just a vessel, not sure. it's all complicated.
    she has to get an angiogram of brain, plus a cognitive evaluation as well.. she had the nerve and muscle test done in office of neuro. she's had MRI and MRA as well as CT scan.
    does anyone here on the board have a similar illness?????
    I was thinking all along that maybe the virus herpes simplex, the one that only gives you cold sores attacked the inner ear and went to the brain.
    which can be treated with acyclovir? I've read this on websites.
    but not one doctor is even trying this.. I'm going to suggest it next visit.
    It can cause havoc to the brainstem and lining of the brain and spinal cord.
    anyone with similar happenings?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2016, 03:54 AM   #2
    lintek55
    (female)

lintek55 HB User
    Re: Anyone with Vertebrobasilar Circulatory Disoder?

It's me again.. I forgot to put in what exactly Vertebrobasilar Circulatory Disorders are. Our body is supplied with a network of blood vessels which supplies the brain with oxygen. these vessels feeds the back of the brain. they also feed the brain stem which is right above the spinal cord.
    Many of the basic functions that we don't even think about because it just does it on it's own and is part of everyday functioning is coordination, vision, and consciousness. So illnesses such as hypertension, high cholesterol can cause hardending of the arteries in the brain vessels which blocks the vessels from getting the blood thru to the brain. therefore causing a host of major problems.
    Vertigo, which is a major one, and even the brain cells get effected which can be permanent or last a short while.
    there is vertebrobasilar insufficiency, posterior circulation ischemia, and vertebral basilar ischema.
    the neuor dr. has to perform major testing in order to rule out any of these illnesses plus any type of metabolic disorder or cancer of brain or spinal cord.

Reply Reply