It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Brain MRI Interpretation Help?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
    bearseatbeets13
    (female)

bearseatbeets13 HB User
    Brain MRI Interpretation Help?

I typically don't post on message forums for health advice, but there is a long waitlist for a neurologist and I'm needing a little help interpreting my MRI results! I am a 26 year old female and just need some assistance interpreting some of the MRI lingo.

I have previously had a few brain scans for a benign arachnoid cyst on my optic nerve that has not changed in size over the years. During my last scan four years ago, my neurologist commented on an area that was somewhat consistent with MS. I was then referred to an ophthalmologist to look into potential optic neuritis, which the ophthalmologist did not find anything significant. I did not receive any instructions on whether or not I should do any follow-up appointments or tests. I opted to get an updated MRI this month since I was curious if anything had changed. The results for the cyst were pretty consistent and unchanged, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me understand the results that refer to that area that the neurologist previously suspected MS:

There is an ill-defined T2 hyperintense region in the posterior left temporal subcortical white matter, grossly unchanged. There is no significant mass effect. The ventricles and sulci have stable volumes. There is no evidence of midline shift. There is no restricted diffusion in the brain parenchyma to suggest acute ischemia. [...] Impression: Unchanged ill-defined T2 hyperintense region in the posterior left temporal lobe without significant mass effect, unclear etiology. Low-grade neoplasm is less likely but not excluded.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2017, 02:58 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Brain MRI Interpretation Help?

Basically what your scan is saying is that nothing has changed.

T2 is the type of MRI machine they used.

The ill defined posterior left temporal subcortical white matter means it is not a MS plaque; it could be absolutely nothing. An artifact on the film OR simply a white area from blood flow. The fact that it is not noted to have a size, means it is nothing to worry about as of now. It ends with "Low-grade neoplasm is less likely but not excluded". Which is what all MRIs say when they dont know what the white area is, because they cannot just ignore that it is there. A neoplasm is serious, and I would repeat this in another year or two JUST TO RULE IT OUT, but as of right now, they aren't leaning that direction and unless you have symptoms to back it up, I really would not worry about it.

If you had optical neuritis, you would know it. It hurts and it affects your vision because you would either be color blind or have extreme pain when you move your eyes from side to side and up and down. My optical neuritis also means that I lose my peripheral vision. (out the sides of my eyes). (and pain, and color loss!)

MS would be accompanied by symptoms, physical symptoms which would probably have you questioning what in the world is going on by now.

I am not a doctor and you should not take my comments as one, but I do have MS, and I do get MRIs twice a year....this does not look like a report from a MS patient.
    I hope you feel good and that you get the results from your own doctor soon.Come back and let us know what they say!

Reply Reply