It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Possible Piriformis Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
    Swans
    (female)

Swans HB User
    Unhappy Possible Piriformis Syndrome

First time poster after having tried numerous message boards, doctors, neurologists and treatments. Close to giving up.

Symptoms
    • Excruciating burning pain in buttocks;
    • Excruciating burning pain in backs of thighs, extending down to calves and soles of feet.

Medications tried
    • Lyrica
    • Amitriptyline
    • Neurontin

Current medications
    • Epilim
    • Deptran

These last 2 medications are new, so I can't vouch for how well they will work at this point.

I've been dealing with this pain for around 7 years without relief. I rarely sleep, am unable to sit for longer than 5 minutes without the pain becoming unbearable and even lying flat on my back increases the burning pain to beyond my limits.

one doctor suggested that I may have Piriformis Syndrome (nerve compression by damaged piriformis muscle in buttocks) and after having done a ton of research on my own, it's the only condition that perfectly describes all my symptoms.

However, my doctors tell me that it's a rare condition and "highly unlikely". I already know that narcotics don't help with neuropathic pain and yet I have still been prescribed both Tramadol and Endone in the past which I have taken - after all, having tried everything else, I'll try anything - and no, neither of these narcotics help.

I'm beside myself with the never ending pain and don't know where else to turn to for help. I have an MRI scheduled for June (earliest I could get in) but don't know even if this will show anything new.

I found several exercises suggested to stretch the piriformis muscle, which I began last week, time will tell if these will help.

I'm considering pushing for a nerve block - any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Possible Piriformis Syndrome

Welcome to the board. I guess the first question is whether you have had a MRI of the lumbar spine in the last? Any time there is ongoing pain that runs down the back of the thighs, and all the way down the leg, it is often a sign of an issue at L5-S1...sometimes at L4-5 or both levels.

From your post, I gather your symptoms are in both legs? If so, I doubt it is a piriformis issue as it more commonly occurs just on one side...and in my humble layman's opinion, isn't all that rare. It would be very rare to be affected on both sides!

You may have instability in the SI joints or there may be a spondylolisthesis at L4-5 or L5-S1. This is where one vertebra slips over the top of the adjacent vertebra, creating some instability. Usually when there is pain in both legs, it is due to some instability.

Closed Thread