It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

Do pinched nerves die, and is that ok?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
StayFit42
(male)

StayFit42 HB User
Do pinched nerves die, and is that ok?

My Dad had been experiencing very bad pain in his left shoulder blade and has been seeing doctors for it. His family doctor determined that it's most likely a pinched nerve. Now the pain is starting to go away after about a month. The doctor himself said he had something similar at one time that went away after about 6 weeks.

Do nerves that are being pinched eventually just die? That's what I'm thinking is happening. I've heard that the nerve of an infected tooth eventually dies and then stops hurting as a result. But if a nerve dies, does that cause other problems, or do new nerves simply replace it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Do pinched nerves die, and is that ok?

Nerves which are pinched do not die in our body...its different than a tooth. In the body, a nerve will regenerate and come back. If your dads doctor had a pinched nerve that eventually stopped being pinched, he either had PT or some sort of medication which relieved the pressure, eventually untrapping the nerve.

Cortisone shots might help. I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder and once a year or so, I go get the cortisone shot...I never give my shoulder the time to heal like they tell me to, as I am very active. A cortisone shot works for most people to temporarily relieve the pain.

Physical therapy might also help to untrap it....

He really needs to go to an orthopedic doctor who is comfortable treating this type of condition. A general practitioner can refer him, but should not be treating this.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
StayFit42
(male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Nerves which are pinched do not die in our body...its different than a tooth. In the body, a nerve will regenerate and come back. If your dads doctor had a pinched nerve that eventually stopped being pinched, he either had PT or some sort of medication which relieved the pressure, eventually untrapping the nerve.

Cortisone shots might help. I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder and once a year or so, I go get the cortisone shot...I never give my shoulder the time to heal like they tell me to, as I am very active. A cortisone shot works for most people to temporarily relieve the pain.

Physical therapy might also help to untrap it....

He really needs to go to an orthopedic doctor who is comfortable treating this type of condition. A general practitioner can refer him, but should not be treating this.
The doctor gave him a 6 day period of Cortizone to be taken orally. It didn't work. Then he gave my dad a prescription of a narcotic painkiller that seemed to work. He's also gotten an Xray and MRI to see the problem but I haven't heard if it's been positively identified or not. Physical therapy has been scheduled.

What's frustrating is that the doctors seem more interested in the Atrial Flutter problem they found with his heart ever since he went to Urgent Care for his severe shoulder pain. They've determined that the two things aren't related, but it's the pain my dad has been most determined to get fixed.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Stayfit, an oral step down of steroids is NOT the same thing at all as having them injected into the muscle where the nerve is trapped....only an orthopedic doctor would do that sort of injection (or a pain doctor). It sounds to me like they were 'checking " to see if taking the swelling down would help. A week of oral steroids isnt enough to really tell...

I wouldn't think the Atrial flutter would be connected either- but either way, get your dad to an ortho doctor who specializes in necks/ shoulders....you will get a much better opinion on what can be done for him from someone who will also take into consideration any meds he might be on for his heart. Obviously you dont want to give him anything medicine wise which could affect whatever issue he may be having with his heart.

I wish you both well.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
StayFit42
(male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Stayfit, an oral step down of steroids is NOT the same thing at all as having them injected into the muscle where the nerve is trapped....only an orthopedic doctor would do that sort of injection (or a pain doctor). It sounds to me like they were 'checking " to see if taking the swelling down would help. A week of oral steroids isnt enough to really tell...

I wouldn't think the Atrial flutter would be connected either- but either way, get your dad to an ortho doctor who specializes in necks/ shoulders....you will get a much better opinion on what can be done for him from someone who will also take into consideration any meds he might be on for his heart. Obviously you dont want to give him anything medicine wise which could affect whatever issue he may be having with his heart.

I wish you both well.
Thank you!
The doctor said something about not being able to inject him with the cortizone because it would be in the neck. I don't remember exactly the reason but I thought it had something to do with being on Eliquis, which is a blood thinner.

He has a physical therapy appointment tomorrow. I hope they'll know what to do. He says his shoulder blade pain isn't completely gone, but is still a dull ache rather than a real sharp pain like before.

Reply Reply