It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Numb Thumb

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User
    Numb Thumb

Hi,

I have extreme drowsiness and flu like head, drunkenness for a long time and now a numb thumb.

Would appreciate any thoughts you may have. I am being treated for depression and anxiety but my symptoms are neurological and I see that my neurological symptoms has worsened my depression and anxiety. No one is going to be on top of the moon if they have all this going on so the meds prescribed have worsened my condition and that tells me my problem is neurological. I am in limbo land. It's so frustrating because I have never in my life experienced the physcial symptoms i have ever with my history of depression and anxiety, and I feel they are getting my case all wrong and me all wrong.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Numb Thumb

Does the numbness improve when you lower your hand? My hands go numb depending on position, but I also have neck and elbow issues. Do have either of those?
    Are you on any meds?

q

Old 03-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Does the numbness improve when you lower your hand? My hands go numb depending on position, but I also have neck and elbow issues. Do have either of those?
    Are you on any meds?

q
    Hi, No it hasn't improved whatever position my hand is in. Its just one side of my thumb that is numb and tingling. Have it now over a week. I do remember having very bad cramp in my thumb and part of my palm about two weeks ago, the cramp is gone but now its numb.

Yes I take thyroid medication and antidepressants for many years now. A new medication was added last Summer, in fact various trials of different antipsychotic medications which absolutely played havoc with my emotional state, worst time ever. I am currently taking 300mg of Queitiapine, an antipsychotic for what I don't know other then I being persistent that I have a neurological problem. It certainly is not helping the symptoms I have in any way.

Just this week I attended my psychiatrist and yes I was tearful and upset, yes I have felt my mood worsening but I think its because of the physical symptoms I have daily that's attributing to having low mood and I've had a history of depression and anxiety forever, but never ever did I ever experience the physical symptoms I have for the past five years now with my diagnosed depression and anxiety. This is the point I am trying to make to both my psychiatrist and neurologist. My psychiatrist wanted to admit me to hospital the other day to change my antidepressant quickly. I said no, she said I need zanex, for my awful fear feeling I have, Anxiety I mean. I haven't taken or got that prescription because, I'm already bad enough with the drunkenness fluy head I have anyway without adding to it and I also want to be taken off the quetiapine. I don't want a new antidepressant either. She decided to do a liver function test so she can then decide if I can take a certain antidepressant, she was talking about Bipolar Disorder. I have had enough of all these various drugs and enough of psychiatrist's telling me one thing, I have and then another etc... My problem is neurological I know it is and I am being prescribed all these drugs and all thats happened taking them is I've went on a downward sprial emotionally. That can't be right either.

Something is just not adding up. I was perfectly fine, doing great with my diagnosed depression and anxiety for many many years. I now gave this drunkenness fluy head, fullness in my head, wobbling and stumbling, clumsiness and really awful fatigue, for almost five years now. That would bring anyone's mood down so giving me these medication's is making my head feel more drunk and woozy. Now numbness as well.

I think the doctors are just getting my case all wrong and treating me with medication's that seriously affect ones head, I am already ill enough without making me feel worse. Its just not making any sense at all to me. I've always said, if I didn't have a history of depression and anxiety, would my diagnosis be any different. I do think it would and my own neurologist told me six months ago that I tick all the boxes symptom wise for a particular neurological disease, but I don't know until I meet with him again soon, what he is going to say, because the psychiatrist's are saying all sorts of other things as well. Its ridiculous all of it because I'm very unwell physically and my neurologist knows I am, but its like they are all just clutching at straws, and if one says one thing, someone else says another, and I'm left with all this frustration and upset and feel as if, what are you guys doing with me? I've went to the psychiatrist's. I've taken the medication, it isn't working since last Summer, so that tells me my symptoms are not due to my history of depression and anxiety, but neurological and my depression and anxiety have gotten worse because of a neurological problem. They go hand in hand, and certainly I am not going to be on top of the moon so I do not know what they expect from me. Everyone is different and I just happen to find my symptoms very difficult and I am trying my best to push through them daily, trying to do what I can, but it is extremely exhausting so I'm just accepting this is with me for the long term and get on with it, but its the lack of the correct diagnosis which is the most frustrating.

Thanks for your reply. I will have blood work next week, whether that will shed light on the numbness or my neurologist knows why, just have to wait and see. I don't see that my symptoms are from somataform disorder, bordering on delusional, Bipolar Disorder, having the wrong feeling when I say I have a neurological problem, all of these my psychiatrist's are telling me as the cause of the drunkenness fluy fuzzy head, the balance problems, the awful fatigue, the pins and needles and the clumsiness and awkwardness they are putting down to a psychiatric issue, but its many different things they are telling me every time I see them, so it's like its everything psychiatric, and I have all the symptoms of a particular neurological disease, my neurologist tells me, so where does one go from there. I don't know. I know I am not going to be a pin cushion for these psychiatric meds.

I will most definitely be telling my psychiatrist that, I did not get the zanex prescription, that I do not want to be given a change in my current antidepressant, and that I want to be taken off the Quetiapine. I don't need hospital admittance for my depression and anxiety, because I know the difference between being mentally ill and physically ill due to a neurological problem. A person knows the difference and I am standing my ground on this because I'm not going to be mislabeled either and misdiagnosed so I don't know what my neurologist is going to say or do, but he should be able to distinguish neurological from psychiatric, especially if all these meds have played havoc with me. I haven't got a clue why I am still waiting for the right diagnosis. Its plain to see, the psychiatric route hasn't helped me, but just added more drowsiness and low mood. I don't get that, if I'm supposedly ill due to a psychiatric illness.

It has become a total mess and that should not be happening because the answer lies in neurology and the psychiatric low mood and anxiety abf frustration is knock on effect as a consequence. That's what I know. I know my own body and mind.

Sorry for ranting on but I am very frustrated more than anything else so I hope things will sort out and I get the correct diagnosis.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....rambling is fine. I hear you on having many issues and not fitting into an obvious criteria.

Do you, in fact, have bipolar?
    And have you had a thorough neurological work-up? Nerve conduction testing?

Are you able to see a psychologist for actual therapy?

What other medications for depression have you been on?

Hang tough through this sorting stage....what is the process to get off the quetiapine?

q

Old 03-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User

Quote:
    Hi....rambling is fine. I hear you on having many issues and not fitting into an obvious criteria.

Do you, in fact, have bipolar?
    And have you had a thorough neurological work-up? Nerve conduction testing?

Are you able to see a psychologist for actual therapy?

What other medications for depression have you been on?

Hang tough through this sorting stage....what is the process to get off the quetiapine?

q
    Hi, No I have not been diagnosed with Bipolar. Last week my psychiatrist mentioned it as being possible. As I said in my previous post, she wanted to admit me to hospital last week to change medications quickly. Yesterday I went back to see her about the new antidepressant she was talking about putting me on last week. Liver function test was normal. I agreed to try the new antidepressant with hesitation though because I do not want the drowsiness drunkenness to get worse. The new antidepressant is Valdoxan.

Things didn't go very well yesterday with my psychiatrist. From being offered admittance to hospital last week, yesterday she showed me the door. I was hesitant about changing the antidepressant and I think she kind of didn't want to hear that and didn't at all want to discuss that the my low mood could be as a consequence of my physical symptoms. I told her I do think my symptoms are neurological. From there really she went to show me the door until I said, OK I will try the new antidepressant.

Unfortunately I thought coming away from my appointment that its a good job I'm not severely depressed like she diagnosed last week, because showing someone the door might upset someone even more. I told her I didn't take the zanex because again I'm wary of these drugs including the Quetiapine because they do make people drowsy and the Quetiapine does make me sleepy as well so she said she will take me off the Quetiapine eventually but doesn't want to do too much changes together. Her recommendations are to start the Valdoxan at night together with the Quetiapine. I am to reduce my current antidepressant Efexor from 225mg to 150mg at morning time. I got the prescription for Valdoxan but I haven't started to do the change yet. I'm thinking I will wait to discuss all this introduction of various medications next week when I see him before I go ahead with the change, simply because since they increased the efexor and introduced about four trials of different antipsychotic medications last summer, I nearly went mad what with my emotions hitting rock bottom and restlessness all were new symptoms on top of everything else when listening to the psychiatrists and taking what they recommended.

Unfortunately the meds haven't helped but hindered my emotional state. I did have a lot of neurological tests, including conduction studies. The conduction studies were normal, my lumber puncture was normal a few years back.

I have had many brain MRIs, spinal as well. For four years, my MRI reports listed, small vessel ischemia, post trauma, demylination. I did try to get a biopsy and it was kind of going ahead, but then it didn't. My last MRI done at that time by the neurosurgeon listed infective along with the others. I asked my neurologist what infective means. He said it doesn't mean a person is suffering from a particular illness, if something is listed in a report, so I don't know what to think anymore. Its all this and that, but my psychiatrist said yesterday when I asked her what is my diagnosis, because I've been told somataform disorder, bordering on delusional, wrong feeling about my symptoms being from a neurological problem, Bipolar Disorder, Depression and Anxiety these have all been said to me by my psychiatrist and another psychiatrist in the team. The other psychiatrist on the team was the one who introduced the antipsychotics, and did tell me last time I met with him that the Quetiapine could be increased to 600mg in my case. I thought to myself, no way is that happening. I'm already on 300mg and its adding to the awful fatigue and drunkenness making it worse. My psychiatrist said yesterday my diagnosis is somataform disorder with depression and anxiety.

I know I told my psychiatrist before that my neurologist did tell me I tick all the boxes symptom wise for a particular neurological disorder, I mentioned it again yesterday along with what I think is causing my low mood that I think I have a neurological problem thats causing my physical symptoms and it is having a knock on effect on my mood. We all know what you think she said to me and I felt well, kind of hurt and explained to her that these symptoms have been with me since I got morning headaches and numbness all over back in 2014, and my head has never been the same since, like fluy fuzzy drunkenness.

I know my psychiatrist is trying to help with my mood but I think my mood will remain flat with these symptoms and that even if I take these different medications, I don't know if they will be of any real benefit if they cause sleepiness and wooziness. I'm just trying to be careful because I have a woozy enough head.

I am really trying to work with these two psychiatrist's but I think my case is neurological. My psychiatrist told me yesterday, you don't have a neurological diagnosis, so you have our diagnosis for your symptoms she said in so many words and alluded to if my own friend lost her mother and became depressed, what would my advice be to my friend? I said I would tell her to get help but in my own case I don't think my depression is due to past traumas but is due to a neurological problem and before I became physically ill, I was doing fine with my diagnosis of depression and anxiety and my GP said that as well whom I was a patient of for over 10 years.

All in all, I am frustrated and don't know whether I'm coming or going with all this back and forth. I will talk to my neurologist next week. I don't know if I should wait until then before starting the Valdoxan, apparently liver function tests need to be done quite regularly while taking this antidepressant.

I hope my neurologist will try to understand that all this going to psychiatrists since last Summer has really not benefited me and the treatment hasn't either. Why is my mood remaining flat even having tried Brintelix, and four different antipsychotic medications? Forgot to mention to you that I tried Brintelix as well, but asked to put back on my old antidepressant Efexor. I always took 150mg, for 10 years prescribed to me by my ex GP, and was fine on that, and before that I was taking Lustral. Fine on both of those.

Now I'm like a pin cushion for all the new meds. Dunno why I'm being made to feel a whole lot worse, it's really not on anymore. Ive enough to deal with as it is with my symptoms without adding more upset and wooziness.

What would your advice be regarding the meds? Should I hold off starting the new antidepressant until I see my neurologist next week?

Thanks for your replies.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Blathanna,

I can understand the confusion.

From my vast (can't list it all here) experience, in my opinion the issue is that psychiatrists are medical doctors and they practice medicine. They prescribe drug intervention. Personally, as long I am not a danger to myself or others I do not want to be drugged or managed by another person.

If you prefer to avoid drugs and to deal with psychological issues to heal 'thyself' my experience is that a psychologist or a really good counselor is the best route to take. Of course, there is also the fact that not all health practitioners are equal. There are the good ones and ones that at best are not at all suited to meet our needs.

I do not want to be drugged for a variety of reasons, among them is due to drug side effects. There are viable ways to take care of your mental & physical health in a drug free manner. But you really have to discern for yourself which route to take. No one knows you better than you know yourself. Maybe you want to share some of what you are dealing with.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear Blathanna,

I can understand the confusion.

From my vast (can't list it all here) experience, in my opinion the issue is that psychiatrists are medical doctors and they practice medicine. They prescribe drug intervention. Personally, as long I am not a danger to myself or others I do not want to be drugged or managed by another person.

If you prefer to avoid drugs and to deal with psychological issues to heal 'thyself' my experience is that a psychologist or a really good counselor is the best route to take. Of course, there is also the fact that not all health practitioners are equal. There are the good ones and ones that at best are not at all suited to meet our needs.

I do not want to be drugged for a variety of reasons, among them is due to drug side effects. There are viable ways to take care of your mental & physical health in a drug free manner. But you really have to discern for yourself which route to take. No one knows you better than you know yourself. Maybe you want to share some of what you are dealing with.
    Hi and thanks for your reply. I don't want to take meds that add to the ongoing drunkenness I have as it is so I will hold off on starting the Valdoxon until I see my neurologist next week.

I am on the waiting list to see a psychologist. My current diagnosis by two different psychiatrist's is somataform disorder, current hypochondriacal preoccupation that I have an undiagnosed neurological condition, obsessional necrosis, underlying BPAD??, mood disorder., Depression and Anxiety. These are what's written in my reports by two different psychiatrist's. Just got a copy today.

I have two different reports by two psychiatrist's on the same team. The one that diagnosed both somataform disorder and hypochondriacal preoccupation prescribed antipsychotic medication's, although my psychiatrist who wants to change the antidepressant this week, did try to change the Quetiapine before Christmas, but I didn't want to try another antipsychotic. Between the two psychiatrist's, there is all these various diagnosis and I'm kind of really sick of it because of there also being said to me that I do tick all the boxes symptom wise for a particular neurological condition so its all kind of neither here or there. All very frustrating.

My symptoms began with daily morning headaches, numbness all over, drowsiness, drunkenness, severe fatigue, balance, and clumsiness, fuzzy fullness in my head, like a flu in my head since then and I have this every day so I don't know why its being diagnosed a hypochondriacal preoccupation, when I am just telling my symptoms and why I think they are neurological. I have numbness tingling in my thumb now. I had bloods done this morning.

I'm obviously very frustrated and it's five years nearly since I got these awful symptoms, so whether its a rare form of a particular neurological condition or a close relative don't know. What I do know is that the physical symptoms I have are exhausting and it is a daily struggle to push through the severe fatigue and the drunkenness but I am doing the best I can so if I'm down in mood I think its to be expected under these circumstances and all these psychiatric diagnosis are a bit unfair considering I could very well have a neurological condition that isn't typical but that has been my point all along as well, I do not have to have a full typical presentation for the particular neurological condition my neurologist and I have talked about, as it does not have a typical presentation in everyone who has been diagnosed with it, so I do think by attending the psychiatrist's, and trying the various medication's, things actually got worse emotionally for me personally and I do not have the energy to be going back and forth because it does really zap me out, plus trying to get things done at home. I am limited in what I can do, so I try to pace myself. Right now I could sleep but there's my daily jobs need doing as best as I can. I go for a nap later. I sleep pretty well, but its like I've never slept, if you know what I mean. I never feel refreshed. Mornings are for the drunkenness and clumsiness, I am very unstable in the morning time with the drunkenness and balance, then as the day goes on, I do feel so so tired and very low energy. I do what I can and hope for the best. Its really an awful thing this because it zaps you out every day. Trying to focus is hard as is concentration, I was once very organized but now that's kind of gone and I just do what I can and pace myself.

Thanks for your reply.

The following user gives a hug of support to Blathanna77:
    yayagirl (03-27-2019)
    Old 03-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Blathanna,

It does look like you have been caught in a quagmire. I wonder what your diet is like, and what are your living arrangements, how old you are and how long you have been feeling this bad.

How did the psychiatrists get involved?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blathanna...I would wait will the neurologist appointment.
    Hopefully he will do more testing.
    I have been known to say to a doctor.....I'm being allowed to fall through the cracks.

I suggest you have vitamin D and B vitamins checked. Have you had a neck scan done?
    q

Let us know the outcome of the appointment.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear Blathanna,

It does look like you have been caught in a quagmire. I wonder what your diet is like, and what are your living arrangements, how old you are and how long you have been feeling this bad.

How did the psychiatrists get involved?
    yayagirl

I'm having these symptoms since 2014. I am 49 years old and am married with two adult children.

It was my neurologist who asked me to see a psychiatrist last Summer. My diet is OK I think. I eat little and often. I graze. Sometimes my appetite is better on some days than other's.

My neurologist did thank me for attending the psychiatrist's, and said it must not have been easy for me last time I met with him. He really made me feel back then that he was going to recommend biopsy and he did do bottles and bottles of blood work, as in about 20 or more bottles. It didn't pan out the biopsy as I said. My neurologist did also say he knows I am very ill but then everything is left on the sidelines again. I remember that day after my neurologist sent me for bloods, I bumped into my psychiatrist the one who prescribed the antipsychotic medication's. I told him, I met with my neurologist and I think he may be going to recommend biopsy and I'm just going for bloods. He said, he didn't say that did he? I said yes kind of. It all went pear shaped after that.

I will see my neurologist next week. I hope he will understand that I've done what he asked me to do and it caused me to go on a downward spiral emotionally and my symptoms remain so I have to just wait and see if he will come to a conclusion in my case or do tests. I hope he will.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User

Quote:
    Blathanna...I would wait will the neurologist appointment.
    Hopefully he will do more testing.
    I have been known to say to a doctor.....I'm being allowed to fall through the cracks.

I suggest you have vitamin D and B vitamins checked. Have you had a neck scan done?
    q

Let us know the outcome of the
    quincy,

Yes thats what I am going to do, wait to see my neurologist. I did tell him, I am falling through the cracks I think.

I did have neck scans, did you mean cervical spine? I have some wear and tear at C5/C6, did see a spinal surgeon, who at first recommended surgery but later was told not to proceed by another neurologist I went to for a second opinion. There is no compression anyway. Between the jigs and the reels, I've gotten nowhere as such going for second opinions. My now neurologist I think is more sympathetic and I do think he may come to a conclusion that I am ill due to a neurological condition, but he did feel under pressure regarding my request for a biopsy and called it catch 22 situation. It's difficult for him too I suppose but its also very difficult for me with my symptoms and the frustration is terrible as well.

I think the nurse did vitamin's b12 and others as well, including all the usual blood tests. I wonder why my thumb is numb on one side? I will tell my neurologist.

Its very frustrating going to my neurologist and coming away with, last time especially that the biopsy would go ahead, so I had hope that maybe he was willing to allow it in my case to see if we could get further information for why I have this awful drunkenness drowsiness, I am wiped out as well. Its a terrible thing this fullness in my head and my neurologist knows I am ill so why isn't he coming to a conclusion yet or try to get more info if it can help.

I wish he would. When I think I'm getting nearer to a conclusion, it's two steps back. This is going on nearly five years and on top of feeling so unwell, this going back and forth all over the place is so exhausting and I'm already very tired so its very difficult and if my neurologist can come to a conclusion, it would take all that going back and forth away. I don't know if he will but its going beyond a joke now especially when I'm out lining my daily life to all of them with my symptoms. I am totally honest with them all, and yet I have numerous psychiatric diagnosis for this drunkenness drowsiness, and I do not agree any of these are the cause of my illness.

I am glad I didn't take the xanax and I want rid of the Quetiapine. 600mg would put me in a coma. I'm bad enough as it is without further drowsiness being added on me. All this I will be discussing with my neurologist.

They need to call a spade a spade in my case. At the moment it is anything but. Its all psychiatric, falling around badly in the morning time especially. My head feels like mush in the morning time, like heavy fullness, drowsiness, fluy woozy. That's not normal, I'm spilling my coffee every morning if I walk with it, falling over and stumbling, then I'm as sleepy as if I've never slept, its all just a constant horrible horrible drowsiness woozy cotton wool head.

I mean this isnt something anyone would be feeling in the best of spirits with, of course my mood will be affected, if I'm having these symptoms every single day. What way am I supposed to feel. I can't understand why my physical symptoms are not neurological, they are all in my head, but not sickly feeling like this is psychiatric, because that surely would have improved with all the meds if that was truly the case. It isn't I will always say and have been saying this always since I became ill.

Am I really wrong and am having just a false belief that it is neurological, are my symptoms especially my head, is that awful feeling psychiatric, I can't see it is, if there's been no improvement in this since 2014. Psychiatric intervention and all hasn't helped this one bit.

What about before 2014, I still had my diagnosed history of depression and anxiety, but never ever had I the head I have now or the stumbling, double vision, swelling in the heat, pins and needles, numbness and severe fatigue, low low energy and pretty much a whole new onset of symptoms with morning headaches daily then follows the drunkenness drowsiness and all the rest, is being put down to my history with depression and anxiety, with all new psychiatric diagnosis being added on, all the new drugs, it's like trial and error, try this try that and eventually we will find the right mix to help your drunkenness drowsiness. The medication's worsened the drunkenness drowsiness and sent me on an emotional rollercoaster, I don't want to be on.

Its like, I'm a pin cushion. Its grand to prescribe these if you're more sure than not they will improve the drunkenness and my other symptoms, but what if they are making them worse, as in my case. I don't think there is any grounds for making me feel worse. Its a nightmare the whole lot of it.

I'll update you on what my neurologist says. I am being honest with everyone about symptoms and do feel as if I am being allowed to fall between the cracks.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear Blathanna,

Hon, you seem perfectly rational to me. Measuring body chemistry does not at all give the whole picture and it does not explain you or how you became that way or how you can become different. Could you be having a 'change of life' depression (female hormonal issues)? If that is so then there is no nutrient that fixes it. However, female hormones could be in order, or we can learn to view life in a different way and by that change how we feel about it. How and what we eat or do not eat and what we dwell on can affect emotional life as much as can chemicals and drugs. At age 49, you might be going through a female hormonal change.

Do you have or have you had any unfinished business in your life, or unhappy or confusing relationships, or are the children becoming more independent? Are you bored, feeling unfulfilled, unloved or under-appreciated? How old are your children? How are your relationships with your self and with others?

With me, my biggest problem was my relationship with myself.
    I paid a lot of money just to understand myself better. What it took for me to be able to relax and get off my own case and take better care of my own needs was a professional that really listened to me and gave me honest and caring feedback.

Do you really need a drug or do you really need someone to care?

Love,

Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 AM   #13
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User

yayagirl,

Thanks for your reply. I've been checked for female hormone changes and those bloods were normal. My GP said I am not on the change so far anyway.

Myself, husband and adult children have a very loveable and close relationship. I do not feel unloved or anything like that. I don't have any issues that would be causing me any unfulfilleness or that friends don't care.

My children live at home, its great to have them around and they are very good to me. They have their own things to be busy with, college etc... All in all, I have no reason to have low mood except in connection to my physical symptoms.

This drunkenness drowsiness is the cause of my low mood. Its an awful thing, whatever it is and needs to be looked into deeper or my neurologist has an idea what it actually is. I do feel he has an idea but its like as I said, back and forth. The biopsy was I thought going to go ahead, but it hasn't so it is an option if my neurologist would allow. It may or may not provide information. Sometimes I think, when things are muddy, a risk can be taken to try to unmuddy the waters. I've asked for that but its been turned down.

You never know unless you try. Its a catch 22 my neurologist told me, and he did feel last time as if I was putting him under pressure regarding biopsy, but in my view if there is an option to explore deeper, why not have a look? Take some tissue and analyze it. If something is found to help my neurologist come to a conclusion, then why not at least explore that option because at the end of the day, I have this awful drunkenness drowsiness and it's not going away so I think look deeper, it may well shed light.

I know it is risky, but sometimes risks need to be taken to get more information to help me and my neurologist get closure. If it is as he said I tick all the boxes symptom wise for a particular neurological condition, then maybe biopsy is of no use to him, I don't know. Its all up in the air.

Let's see what he says next week. I doubt very much he will want me to feel worse than I am with the drunkenness, so the meds I think have made things worse and I need to be careful with my head the way it is. Its going on a very long time and there is something very wrong if I'm feeling drunkenness drowsiness fluy every day.

Thanks again for your reply.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #14
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear Blathanna,

It sounds like you have good family life. I'm not really asking about that. Do you have personal interests beyond your family? Just the fact of knowing of our children growing up and will be moving on in their lives affects our our mood. When doctors tell us nothing is wrong and there are no physical symptoms, we usually are ignoring something that is bothering us.

What do you do that is just for your own self-expression or pleasure? I am wondering if your low mood is from the normal emotions of watching your children grow up. Yes that is a very normal reason to develop a low mood. We can be so proud of them and happy for them, but it can be psychologically very difficult to feel our children move on with their lives. They won't always be there.

I know for a fact that regardless how cheerfully we are involved, still health, house cleaning, grown children and hubby are not in themselves fulfilling.

What interests can you go back to or move on to that does not involve hubby or children?

Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
    Blathanna77
    (female)

Blathanna77 HB User

yayagirl,

I'm fine about the kids moving on and know they won't always be there. My interests are family history and reading. I have a lot of interest in sports as well.

I am not in sports but do enjoy watching sports. I do think my physical symptoms are being caused by a neurological condition. Why else would I have these ongoing symptoms, which began with daily morning headaches. I became ill unfortunately and that I believe would have a knock on effect on me mood, as well as those meds.

I do have sleep apeona as well. That came around 2016. Using CPAP for that and its fine.

I had my thyroid removed seven years ago, with sparing of the parathyroid glands. Thyroid function is good unless there is a change in the results when I get my blood results back. Its been fine all along on the dosage of eltroxin I am on.

May have had old TB, my respiratory physician thought so way back, but no sign of any TB. I see my respiratory physician two or three times a year for breathing tests and sleep apeona. He is always happy with my breathing test results so thats good and the sleep apeona is fine with the CPAP therapy. He doesn't see any issues on his side as to the cause of the drunkenness drowsiness.

Do you know what infective could mean on my brain MRI report? Have you come across that word? Just wondering if you know what it might mean.

Thanks for your replies. Appreciate it.

Reply Reply