It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Lost Sense of Smell Accompanying Stroke-Like Symptoms??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-16-2021, 12:15 AM   #1
    Coyotesdawn

Coyotesdawn HB User
    Lost Sense of Smell Accompanying Stroke-Like Symptoms??

I've been slowly losing my sense of smell since Feb. 2018 and no professional knows why. The initial cause was due to mold toxins and neuromuscular autoimmune disease inflaming and damaging the nerves and blood vessels in my nose and face. These factors caused continuous 'sinus infection' and neurologic symptoms resembling Parkinson's. I was removed from that setting in April 2020 and took months to recover.

While most aspects of my neuro health have improved since, I'm still losing my sense of smell and it's nearly gone now. It fluctuates however. Recently, it has been decreasing suddenly after hearing/feeling a popping or cracking sensation right behind the eye and seemingly in the nasal canal.
    This loss of smell is often accompanied by sudden numbness and pressure on part of one side of the face, including problems using facial muscles (they get stiff, but not limp) around the eye/nose and having numbness in my sinuses or nasal canal. I can also get dizzy, disoriented, or experience sudden changes in my cognitive abilities and even my personality. I'll feel completely disoriented and have no idea who I am. These incidents have gradually dulled my emotional capacity as well.

I feel like I have a vascular issue. Early on in the mold situation I had frequent nosebleeds and sudden 'jumps' in my nose that felt like vasospasm, from all the inflammation. I still sometimes taste or smell blood, often around the time I can hear clicking or popping noises, but I haven't seem blood come out of the nose itself for several years now.
    My ability to smell is also influenced by any situation where my blood pressure needs to compensate, such as getting up too quickly, exercising, or straining to pull something. If I'm in any situation where blood suddenly rushes to my head or is pulled away, my smell ability usually goes out for a few hours. I have autonomic dysfunction to begin with as well, so that's not helping anything.

I guess my question is could this all be a sinus infection that I'm not aware of, or is this possibly a neurologic or vascular issue I should get seen for? I've never heard of popping sensations causing sudden loss of smell, or creating this other worrisome cluster of symptoms. I'd be shocked if this were something like stroke, but mycotic aneurisms are apparently a thing with mold toxins....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Lost Sense of Smell Accompanying Stroke-Like Symptoms??

It would help to know your age and lifestyle.

Do you smoke?

Drink alcohol?

Live a sedentary lifestyle?

Take any drug prescriptions or over-the-counter drugs?

Are you overweight or underweight? BMI?

Do you eat a high protein diet, high fat diet, high carb diet?

What doctors have you seen about your problems?

Reply Reply