It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Neurologist, What to expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
    SkipperH
    (male)

SkipperH HB User
    Neurologist, What to expect?

I'm going to see a Neurologist Friday for dizziness I've had since Feb. Dizziness has slowed down but I've got bad headaches now. What will the Neurologist do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
    willsmommy
    Veteran

willsmommy HB User
    Re: Neurologist, What to expect?

Hi,

Uh not entirley sure as I have seen ent's and neuroto's but I think its v similiar in terms of tests. I think they will do some very crude assesments of your neurological staus, scrunch you face up, looking for asymetry, look at the optic nerve in your eye, check for obvious nystagmus by following a pen or similar, listen to your speech, check your reflexs, listen to your pulse points, take a very detailed history, egt you to describe in detail the feelings of dizzyness, ask questions about your vision and general health. He/she may then refer you on for the usual ENG and MRI, very often they do the MRI to give you peace of mind and to make absolute sure there is central problems. Good Luck and let us know how you get along! Ilia

Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

If they refer you to a neurologist they tend to thinkyour dizziness is not inner ear related - could be migraine or brain related though the latter is rare. Not sure what they'll do. Have you seen an ENT??? xxx

Old 04-27-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
    kami-girl

kami-girl HB User

I just saw a neurologist on the 15th and all he did was very basic. Blood pressure, reflexes and epley maneuver. He said that I am suffering from migraines, even though eng (which I told him I had 10 years ago) showed central vestibular damage. Oh yes, and also that I should be getting professional help for anxiety. I took that to mean that this is basically all in my head and am bringing it on by being too anxious.

Kami

Old 04-27-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kami-girl
    I just saw a neurologist on the 15th and all he did was very basic. Blood pressure, reflexes and epley maneuver. He said that I am suffering from migraines, even though eng (which I told him I had 10 years ago) showed central vestibular damage. Oh yes, and also that I should be getting professional help for anxiety. I took that to mean that this is basically all in my head and am bringing it on by being too anxious.

Kami
    This is so funny! I think I saw the same neurologist today. My neurologist said I was hyperventilating and put me on effexor even though I told him that eight months of paxil did nothing. He did think that it all started as labs and my anxiety has kept it going. Could be. I wish these dumba**** could tell me how to correct my breathing problems.

Willsmommy you are correct that is exactly what happened at my appt. today. I already had MRI which he looked over.

Derek

Old 04-27-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
    SkipperH
    (male)

SkipperH HB User

If they refer you to a neurologist they tend to thinkyour dizziness is not inner ear related - could be migraine or brain related though the latter is rare. Not sure what they'll do. Have you seen an ENT??? xxx Emsybobs, Yes I have seen a ENT doc and had a ENG that should everything was normal. The dizziness seems to come on with physical activity.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
    kami-girl

kami-girl HB User

I have been on Paxil for 5 years. the first couple were ok and then when the spinning episode happened 3 years ago I started on diazepam. (low dose) It does seem to help but Iknow that my dizziness is not anxiety related, reverse that. I just want to know what is causing the spinning? I had brain fog on and off (compensated each time) for 29 years before this all started. Now I cannot seem to compensate. My neurologist said there was no sense doing a mri because my central vestibular damage would show up and there is nothing can be done for it anyhow. I guess he figured it would be a waste of time and money!

Kami

Old 04-27-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SkipperH
    If they refer you to a neurologist they tend to thinkyour dizziness is not inner ear related - could be migraine or brain related though the latter is rare. Not sure what they'll do. Have you seen an ENT??? xxx Emsybobs, Yes I have seen a ENT doc and had a ENG that should everything was normal. The dizziness seems to come on with physical activity.
    Hey Skipper they probally want to rule out stroke, tumor and MS. A neurologist is good to rule out these problems. Not everyone is good at explaining when they are dizzy, how there dizziness feels and what makes it worse. Have you had an MRI yet?

Old 04-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #9
    SkipperH
    (male)

SkipperH HB User

Bothrops....no MRI yet. I can't help think that something is being missed concerning my right ear. When the hearing test for my right ear was done I experienced extreme dizziness (room spinning feeling) when they introduced a high pitched, high volume sound. Also, during the ENG test when the hot water was directed into my right ear I had extreme pain. But the ENT says normal.(????)

Closed Thread