It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• NEUROLOGIST-What to expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2004, 07:05 AM   #1
    FUNKYHEADGIRL
    (female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User
    NEUROLOGIST-What to expect?

I have my first Neuro appointment tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I already know I have sciatica and stenosis, and some nerve damage in my lower lumbar. Thanks for all replies!~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Re: NEUROLOGIST-What to expect?

My neuro wouldn't even see me without mri's, he only sees the worst cases. So when I went to him I was prepared for the "surgery" advise. He basically pulled up my films and showed me the large herniations and the pros and cons of surgery. After surgery they don't want anything to do with you unless its surgical related. Sad, they just cut and say good bye. I've had 2 surgeries with my neuro, he did a good job, recovery was not that bad, well not recovered discs in between are bulging, but surgically I feel he did a good job. I had to have surgery, couldn't walk it got so bad, My neuro was neutral, he didn't show much compassion, guess they get so much everyday of whining etc.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
    AlSmith
    Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Are you going to a nuerological surgeon? If you have not had an MRI, they will most likely order one. He/She will also probably give you some neurological test. Things like walk on your toes and heals, test for numbness and loss of reflex. Your first visit will probably be to diagnose you and set a course of action to help you.

You should write down any questions you may have. We often get flustered around docs and forget to ask.

Good luck!

Alan

Old 10-18-2004, 06:08 PM   #4
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Alsmith is right, go with questions in hand. Depends on who you see. Some are short with you and want to get right to surgery and then some will take the time to go over everything with you.

Our Neurologist was short with us. Said, surgery. Did MRI, X-Rays, EMG, insisted on PT and ESI. Husband turned down the ESI. Sent to Neuro Surgeon. She spent about five minutes with us. The nurse, however, spent over an hour with him. When he decided to bail, they spent another hour with him convincing him that it was his only option.

After surgery, Neuro, never to be seen again, back to primary or to the center for X-rays to look for fusion progress.

Wear loose fitting clothing and expect to be poked, prodded, and for them to make small talk with you during the exam while they do things that you are not paying attention to. Their job is to distract you while they check for pain. There are specific things that they look for.

There are website that list what they are looking for and how to distract you while they do it. You have to check in as a doctor to read them though. Easy to do. It is better to know these things going in.

If they don't answer all of your questions the first time, ask for another appointment and tell them that you want a double time slot. This gives you time to ask them a lot more than they answer in five minutes. We always do this and the insurance programs picks it up as a high level visit but charges us the same co-pay as a regular visit.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
    AlSmith
    Veteran

AlSmith HB User

I guess I was lucky because I have had one followup with my neuro already and have another one in December. If they don't schedule you one, I would ask for one.

Alan

Closed Thread