It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Will a Neurologist RX Oxycontin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
    KimmieVanH

KimmieVanH HB User
    Will a Neurologist RX Oxycontin?

Hey All: I had a cervical fusion done in 2003. I have been having problems with pain ever since 8 months after the surgery. The neuro surgeon told me that he had pretty much done all the he could for me and sent me on my way! The pain has caused me to quit work, scale way back on my activities and make the quality of my life miserable. Tomorrow, I have an appointment with a neuroligist that I had seen before my surgery for a second opinion and some advice. I think since it's been so long since my surgery that I may need new diagnostic tests BEFORE I go the PMD route. I AM IN MAJOR PAIN and have been for YEARS. I quite literally cannot take it anymore. I have taken every drug you can name and only found that a few worked. I want to try Oxycontin, but know that flat out asking for it will raise major concerns. Do you know if a neurologist will Rx this medication for me? Is it common? Do I ask him or what? I just want to be out of pain and DO NOT want to go back to eating 20 Vicodin a day, which is what I did before my surgery. Please let me know your thoughts on this. It's a shame that a person cannot get adequate pain relief without being made out to be a drug seeker. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    Re: Will a Neurologist RX Oxycontin?

It was a neurologist who diagnosed me. My family doc had already put me on oxycontin but the neurologist upped the dose and included oxyir for breakthrough pain. I'm now on mscontin as I didn't find the oxycontin helped much. I still take the oxyir for bt pain though. I definitely wouldn't go in there asking to be put on ANY narcotic. I'm in Canada and if you do that here, especially if you don't really know the doc, a major red flag comes up. You probably will have to go through a bunch of tests again, but hopefully the doc will give you something to help the pain. Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
    KimmieVanH

KimmieVanH HB User

Well, I saw him before and they have a record of that, although it was a long time ago. I remember that he did Rx Lortab for me when I saw him back then and he was very helpful. I was just hoping to not have to go through the same old round of meds just to prove a point, that I am NOT seeking any particular drug, but that I have taken so many things and I know what works and what does not. I wanted to be able to ask him to put me on SOMETHING stronger than the Vicoden 10/500, just because of all of the APAP in them. I guess that's better than nothing, though.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
    atibbert
    Inactive

atibbert HB User

Norco puts out a 10/325, less APAP

Amy

Old 10-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

I don't see why you couldn't explain to him what has worked for you in the past. You're not really asking him to put you on a specific med. Good luck, I hope he will help you.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
    wastefulltick
    (male)

wastefulltick HB User

hi kimmie
    i had acdf fusion with donor bone and plating on may 6 th and have been in worse pain since the surgury than i was prior i am curious as to what your pain and symptoms are if you wouldnt mind
    thanks bob

Old 10-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
    marlena.m

marlena.m HB User

It IS a shame that a person can't go to a doctor and tell that doctor what works for their pain without the doctor making them feel like some druggie. I had surgery for endometriosis almost two years ago. After that I was still in bad pain, and the doctor would not prescribe me more vicodin even though it was the only thing that helped control the pain. Instead he gave me vioxx, which did not even touch the pain, and I'm sure you've heard the bad news regarding vioxx lately. Why would a doc rather put you on something like that instead of giving somebody what actually helps their pain. I get so angry at the system sometimes....

Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
    KimmieVanH

KimmieVanH HB User

Bob: I had a cervical fusion (c5-c6-c7) with donor cadaver bone and had rods and screws put in also. Immediately after surgery there was MINIMAL relief, certainly nothing close to what we had hoped for. Now, 3 years later, I am in WORSE pain than I was before. I have bad neck pain, upper left back pain and shoulder blade pain. My left arm is constantly aching and weak. I cannot do much with my left hand or arm. I quit my job because of the pain. I have WAY more bad days than good. My quality of life just totally sucks. Anyway, I see my old neurologist tomorrow (NOT my neurosurgeon) and I am HOPING that he will give me something for my pain that actually WORKS. None of this ultracet BS. I am afraid that I will quite literally have to beg the man. Please say a prayer for me. I am going to need it.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
    Snails
    Senior Veteran

Snails HB UserSnails HB User

In my experience, and from what I have heard from many other chronic pain patients, neurologists are NOTORIOUSLY paranoid, stingy, and misinformed about opiates. They don't seem to understand the difference between addiction, dependence, and tolerance, and usually classify anyone who asks for help with pain as a drug seeker or prone to addiction. I would advise trying to find a different type of doctor if your pain remains undermanaged...from the neurologists I've seen, I would still be curled up in agony, all day every day, if I relied on them for pain management. Good luck...

Old 10-20-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Snails, it was a neurologist who diagnosed and helped me the most. He even sent a letter to my other docs explaining the difference between dependance and addiction.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:23 AM   #11
    OxyHater
    (male)

OxyHater HB User

My neurologist said that taking oxycontin was possible but "not yet". He wants to do 2 more tests. He did give me 100 Lortab 10/500's, so I didn't think he was all that bad?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
    Snails
    Senior Veteran

Snails HB UserSnails HB User

I'm glad to hear that not all neurologists deserve their reputation...there are quite a few who give the profession a bad rap, but I really hope you guys continue to get the caring, humane treatment you deserve .

Old 10-24-2004, 03:18 AM   #13
    ltedeschi
    Veteran
    (female)

ltedeschi HB User

He can prescribe it but if this is a new doctor it is highly unlikely in my experience because he will probably go lower at first. They want to be sure you are not going to different docs just to get better pain meds. This is a highly controversial thing and many doctors are afraid of losing their license over pain meds. Some will however and if you carefully explain your situation and your quality of life you will have a better chance.
    Good luck
    Lisa

Old 10-24-2004, 09:11 AM   #14
    pawned

pawned HB User

I have been on substantial doses of Oxycotin for a few years now along with OxyIR (oxycodone) for break thru pain.

I went thru a lot of experimenting with different meds and doses before the doctor decided to go to the Oxy. For one thing, it should NEVER be used for pain that will probably go away within a few months. It is for long term use only.

The dr should put you on Oxycotin if you can show him that you have tried other pain regiments that did not work. Bring your records and show him that this is not a whim, but you have tried everything else and this is the only regiment that you have not tried. Unless the dr is an idiot, or scared to write Rx for narcotics, he should start you on it.
    Another narcotic pain med you may wish to look at is Methadone, it is less expensive, just as effective if not more so and does not have the euphoric effect that Oxy does. But the stigma of Methadone does scare away alot of doctors and patients

I will probably be asking to increase my dose in the next 6 months or so, as my condition cotinues to degrade.

Being an alcholic, I have always taken less pain meds than were Rx'ed for me, because I was scared of them. I now take exactly what is Rx'ed for me, no more, no less.

If you feel that you have tried everything else and can document your Rx regiemes and this dr will not Rx an narcotic pain med for you, then maybe you need to shop for another enlightened doctor.

BTW, where are you located. Someone may know a dr in your area that is enlightened

Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 AM   #15
    wastefulltick
    (male)

wastefulltick HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KimmieVanH
    Bob: I had a cervical fusion (c5-c6-c7) with donor cadaver bone and had rods and screws put in also. Immediately after surgery there was MINIMAL relief, certainly nothing close to what we had hoped for. Now, 3 years later, I am in WORSE pain than I was before. I have bad neck pain, upper left back pain and shoulder blade pain. My left arm is constantly aching and weak. I cannot do much with my left hand or arm. I quit my job because of the pain. I have WAY more bad days than good. My quality of life just totally sucks. Anyway, I see my old neurologist tomorrow (NOT my neurosurgeon) and I am HOPING that he will give me something for my pain that actually WORKS. None of this ultracet BS. I am afraid that I will quite literally have to beg the man. Please say a prayer for me. I am going to need it.
    hi kimmie sorry i did not reply i have been in a lot of pain the last 2 weeks i went to neurosurgueon to go over the new mri it now shows i have an unusual disc extrusion in c2 and he said there is nothing he can do at that level and he is sending me for pt which caused me more pain in past pt sessions and said that it is not unusual to have pain 6 mo post op i have been out of work for 7 mos due to pain and recovery std paid for 8 weeks but has yet to send any money for ltd so i am speaking to a lawyer who today called and told me to start my aaplication for ss disabilty today and call him when i gat my appt with ss this is turning into a nitghtmare iv spent almost all my saving i wish i could somehow work and get thru the day but with the pain it takes me 2 hours to get unstiffened and the meds to kick in but they wear off fast then it a visous cycle trying to keep the pain down and it would be obious to anyone i go to work for of the pain im in an the need for frequent breaks wainting for meds to calm the pain down would surely get me fired but i may not have a choice i may have to fake my way thru and put on a fake smile and say everthings great or be out on the streets when my pain has calmed down id like to share symptoms of both pre and post op i swear im in worst pain now than before thanks again for your reply
    bob :

Closed Thread