It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• 10 yr old son's left eye turns out. Opthamologist referred to Neurologist...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2004, 04:49 PM   #16
    kippy6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kippy6 HB User
    Re: 10 yr old son's left eye turns out. Opthamologist referred to Neurologist...

Siren - So good to hear from you! I'm so sorry about your dad! Does he have any problems with his good eye? And I can't believe you have a facial tic too - How have you controlled it? The neurologist mentioned medicine, but said to wait to see if it gets worse or not. His "tic" has been a lot worse this past few days. We'll wait and see. They wanted to test him for seizure activity too, but I think that is what the MRI was for. I really think he's going to be fine. We are so glad everything is okay.

BTW, do your eyes ever hurt from blinking so much, or from your strabisimus?

Kippy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 09:18 AM   #17
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Re: 10 yr old son's left eye turns out. Opthamologist referred to Neurologist...

Kippy, my Dad's vision is terrible. The tumor was slightly larger than a golf ball with little projection like things, some of which were wrapped around his optic nerve. So he has a very strong prescription. When he takes his glasses off his bad eye rolls so far out into the corner of his eye he can't see much of anything. Even with glasses they've only been able to correct him to 20/80 in that eye. The other one is not good either, but at least correctable. He's also epileptic as a side effect of the tumor and surgery, but has managed to live a completely normal life and is still working at 55! I think they may need to do an EEG to detect seizure activity. I'm not sure MRI's can pick up electrical activity. Of course, my dad had these huge grand mals, (very well controlled for years) but there was never any need to really wonder if he had seizure activity going on!

As for my vision and tic, my eyes did get very tired from blinking so much. I blinked both in a wincing type manner. And the strabisimus, which is EVER so minor, does cause headaches alot in school or church, any time I'm trying to read or concentrate on something for long periods of time. But the tic I started developing in elementary school. And I don't know how I stopped it, but I was always VERY socially concious, and forced myself to stop alot of strange behaviors to fit in. (I also am pretty sure I'm slightly OCD) I had many many strange behaviors in childhood that I hid or broke myself of simply because I didn't want to be "weird."

How old is your little one now? She's a little younger than mine, right? Cal was 16 months this month. I rememeber we were July/August mommies together, but I can't rememeber exactly when she was born.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 11-17-2004 at 09:20 AM.

Closed Thread