It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• Should I trust my Neurologist?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
    ABCmama
    (female)

ABCmama HB User
    Should I trust my Neurologist?

I have been seeing a Neurologist regarding my daily headaches, usually on the same side. I told him I was worried I had a brain anueresym. I had told him I had a CAT scan without contrast and all was fine. He said he thinks I have transformed migraine and gave me Topamax. I didnt like it so I wont continue. He says that in alot of cases Brain Anuersyms have no syptoms and just because a person has daily headaaches it doesnt mean its a brain anuresym in most cases. He said he was fine with what my CAT scan results were and doesnt see any need for further testing yet as headaches run in my family. But doesnt a CAT scan without contrast NOT show anueresyms?
    Is there any other questions I should ask him of what else it could be like c-spine or hemicrania continua? I am lost and dont know if he is a good Dr or what

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Should I trust my Neurologist?

the really best way to rule out a possible aneurysm(with the exception of an actual angiogram)is an MRA.this just strictly highlights only the arterial structures within the brain and nothing else.my aneurysm did NOT even show up on an MRI i had had done just weeks prior to the MRA because of the location of the aneurysm itself.it was at a bend in the artery and very close to the junction with another artery.this is why the MRA is so much better,there is nothing else to actually get in the way of all the arterys.neuologists are just sometimes not as up on certain things as neurosurgeons.my NS sent me for the MRA just because of changes in my facial paresthesias i had been having since my spinal cord injury occured.tho it could have been explaind away with that theory,he wanted to be certain.and lo and behold,he was right.its just something that I personally feel should be ruled out with ongoing headaches.the thing is,most times(this really seems to be more the rule than the exception?)what the doc sends the person for to have checked out with MRA turns out not even to be related to the actual aneurysm but it just was enough to prompt the doc to send the patient for the MRA.this was my case with the paresthesias,it turned out thewy were not related to my particular aneurysm but the same old SCI,but it was enogh for him to question it.this also happened with my cousin with her headaches.it turned out she did indeed have an actual aneurysm but the actual headaches were not really re;ated to it.strange but true.i have heard this same type of scenerio from quite a few people who have been Dxed with brain aneurysms.

I really do think that in your case,it would be much better to be safe than sorry ya know?talk to him and just tell him YOU would feel alot better if you knew for certain.if nothing shows,at least you can rule it out.CT,even with contrast will not,just like MRI,pick up all of the arterial structures fully in any scan,this is why the MRA needs to be done.if you get the same response from your neuro,get a second opinion with another.you do not have to stay with any doc who is not taking you seriously about all your concerns.

tho these could just be headaches stemming from neck tension(very very common) or some other reason,anytime you have chronic headaches,you really DO need to at least completely rule out vascular malformations as a possible cause.although,i never ever had an actual headache with mine at all,til after it was coiled,and not before.some as you say,can be 'silent'.i just had odd feelings inside my head and these wierd heat flushes down the back of my head.that was it.have a chat with your neuro.good luck and please keep me posted,K? Marcia

Closed Thread