It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• 7 month old with hypertonia, waiting to see neurologist

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
    wam1974
    (female)

wam1974 HB User
    7 month old with hypertonia, waiting to see neurologist

Hi all-
    I'm new here and so happy to have found this message board! I have a 7 month old son. At his 6 month checkup the doctor referred us to early intervention as he is not rolling over yet. He was evaluated by PT and OT and the main concern is his hypertonia from the waist down (though at times it is in his arms too). This is preventing him from rolling over, crawling. He just started to sit up on his own and also just started to bear weight on his legs, which is encouraging. Although, his toes are always pointed and he will not stand flat footed which is another concern. We will be starting physical therapy soon. It is a 2 month wait to see a neurologist, but from everything I read, all signs seem to point to CP.

I am very emotional at this possibility. As a parent of course you don't want your children to have any kind of dissability or go through any additional struggles beyond the normal every day stuff. I do know that people with CP can lead very normal lives, but it has still been difficult for me. My friends/family have not really been supportive, it seems like they just kind of blow it off when I bring it up. So, I'm left feeling like I have no one to talk to and no one who understands.

I guess I'm just looking for some support and words of wisdom from others who have already walked this path. I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone has any ideas for exercises or other things that might help him, or any alternative therapies (chiropractic, or other) that people have found useful.
    Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
    Deborah7
    (female)

Deborah7 HB User
    Re: 7 month old with hypertonia, waiting to see neurologist

Hello, Welcome aboard. I understand what you are going through. I have CP. But I don't know much about the CP that I have. I think it's called freezing at the joints. I live a normal life but there are some things that I can't do for myself.
    If you need to talk just let me know?.

God bless,
    Deborah

Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
    JellyRJFan
    Veteran
    (male)

JellyRJFan HB User
    Re: 7 month old with hypertonia, waiting to see neurologist

Hey, welcome aboard!
    I'm diagnosed spastic quad, but personally I think I'm a spastic diplegic. If it turns out your son has CP it sounds like he may have diplegia. I'm almost 22 so I don't think I can help much in terms of what to do for your son at his age, but I can say that I have found chiropraction to be very beneficial

Last edited by JellyRJFan; 09-04-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Closed Thread