It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• What are the Chances of Getting Huntington's disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
    walad
    (male)

walad HB User
    What are the Chances of Getting Huntington's disease?

What are the Chances of Getting Huntington's? Many members of my family suffer from Huntington disease. What are the Chances of Getting Huntington's Disease (HD)? my mother and father ages are over fifty-year-old and they did not show symptoms

Regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User
    Re: What are the Chances of Getting Huntington's disease?

If one of your parents has Huntington's Disease then you have a 50/50 chance of inheriting the gene. Does the disease run on your mother's side, father's side or both? If both have it then you have a 75% chance of inheriting the disease. What was the average age of symptom onset for your other family members? It's possible that your parents may not have the disease and did not pass it on to you. I hope that is the case.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
    walad
    (male)

walad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrsPM View Post
    If one of your parents has Huntington's Disease then you have a 50/50 chance of inheriting the gene. Does the disease run on your mother's side, father's side or both? If both have it then you have a 75% chance of inheriting the disease. What was the average age of symptom onset for your other family members? It's possible that your parents may not have the disease and did not pass it on to you. I hope that is the case.
    Thanks dear for your replay
    yes the it is ib both side mother and father. ..
    In my uncle side they show the symptoms in the childhood. . But others the show it in the
    30s...
    Both father over 60 and my mother in her 50s and ther didnt show the symptoms.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User

Because your mother and father passed the age of onset common to the other family members, it's possible that neither have inherited the faulty gene. The only way to know for sure is through genetic testing. Wishing you and your family the best.

Closed Thread