It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

• VP shunt infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
    lvasic
    (female)

lvasic HB User
    Question VP shunt infection?

I've had my VP shunt for 21 years and have had one shunt revision in 2001. All of the sudden though, I'm getting horrible blood test results that are confusing even to doctors. My blood cell counts are high, my c-reactive protein is way too high and my lymphocytes are going crazy. I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm starting to wonder if an infection is happening with my shunt. I'm not sure how I could have gotten an infection but the research I've done says an infection can cause c reactive protein to rise and white blood cell counts to rise. Headaches have been a lifelong thing for me so it's hard to tell if they've gotten worse. I have been horribly tired though and it takes every ounce of strength I have just to roll out of bed in the morning.
    My neurosurgeon doesn't have an office close to me and my neurologist barely knows what a VP shunt is. I'm scared that this is something big and I'm going to end up in the hospital with a bunch of doctors taking guesses at what's wrong with me (I had seizures from my shunt once and it took 3 months of "experimental surgery" for them to finally think about my shunt being the issue).

Has any parents (I say parents because infections happen to children with VP shunts a lot) or shunt knowledgeable people run across anymore info about shunt infections? Am I too told to worry about it being an infection or do I have a good "guess" as to what is causing my blood tests to go all weird all of the sudden?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
    MyDarkPassenger
    (female)

MyDarkPassenger HB User
    Re: VP shunt infection?

When my daughter's shunt was infected she had a "knot" on her chest where the shunt ran. The "knot" eventually turned out to be a pocket of pus. It took 2 months for her blood work to show anything so they could poke it to find out. If they had of waited another day she wouldn't have made it. The infection she had was psuedomonas. It traveled to her brain. We were in the hospital for 6 weeks and she had 4 shunt surgeries, her appendix removed, and a g-tube put in. The only symptom she had other than the "knot" was fatigue and she didn't want to eat.

Closed Thread

Tags
    infection, neurology, neurosurgeon, shunt, vp shunt