It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board

Nerve problem or Hernia?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
nogooddr34
(male)

nogooddr34 HB User
Nerve problem or Hernia?

I have been having strange symptoms for last few months and have not been able to confirm anything by doctors.
Just to tell you a little background. I had a catheterization done about 3 years ago to see if there was a clogged artery but it was negative. I had severe chest pains back so just to rule out they put a camera thru my groin to check if everything wsa ok with my heart.
About 5 months ago I felt heaviness in my right groin. I went to a local hospital to see if it was something serious where I was told I donít have anything. So next couple of days I started feeling burning and needle pain in my groin which went to right under my belly button. And it would get worse by walking. Even sitting with pressure on my groin was very uncomfortable. Groin became very tender to touch and very sensitive and was a little swollen or at least this is what I felt inside my right groin. Pain was like sharp stabbing pain or sometimes pins and needles and sometimes burning sensation. It would get better with sitting and would get worse with walking.
My doctor put me on gabapentin 100 mg twice a day as he suspected it was an irritated nerve. He ruled out hernia. I took few doses of gabapentin and didnít feel much difference so I quit. About after two months I went to my doctor again and told him that problem still persisted and he told me itís a nerve issue and it would go away with rest. I had been taking significant rest during that period. Still with movement it would get worse.
About two months ago I had to travel for my job and due to sitting a lot I started feeling very uncomfortable cuz my movement was restricted to great extent. I started gabapentin again. I took it regularly for few days and then I felt like my pain had spread to my scrotum as well. Eventually I started feeling pins and needles all over my body. Path of the needle pain was from groin to my upper chest to my throat and then to my face and hands and also it started moving down the legs too.
I quit taking gabapentin again because it was making my pain numb during walk numb and whatever was going inside my groin, damaging it more. Finally I felt same exact pain in my left groin as well.
It got so bad that I had to go see a doc in ER. In ER my CAT scan of lower abdomen was clear except that it said there is a tiny fat containing inguinal hernia of my left side. But PA in ER clinically diagnosed me with hernia.
I also had my right hip MRI done which was negative for any problems.
I went to see a neurologist who told me I need right inguinal nerve block but he said he wasnít sure what is causing this needles and pins with movement of body.
After two visits of ER I went to see a surgeon who told me I had no hernia. I went to see another surgeon for second opinion and she told me I have hernia on left side but since there was too much inflammation on my right groin she can do a laproscopy to see what is going on there. She suspected it could be a torn muscle but she told me to rest and not walk because something was getting damaged there and asked me to put ice there every 20 mins and take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every day.
In the meanwhile my condition deteriorated to a point where I was not even able to walk sit at all. I went to see another doctor who put me on CIPRO 500 mg and ALEVE 220 both twice a day for two weeks. He diagnosed me with Epididimytis. I took meds for two weeks but no result.
IN the meanwhile I went to see another surgeon who told me I bilateral hernia but he told other symptoms are not textbook symptoms of hernia. Like needle pains shooting from movement of my groin area.
Currently I cant sleep on either side. I have to sleep on laying flat on my back.
As soon as I feel a little pressure on my either groins (sitting, bending, putting pressure with hand etc) I feel this needle pain shooting all over my body. If I walk I started feeling buring, stabbing pain in my groins and lower abdomen sometimes. I canít sit for too long.
I feel some mass inside my lower abdomen from my groin to lower abdomen only on right side.
My symptoms improve with rest but my movement is zero these days. I am totally bed bound as little bit of walk or movement brings back pain especially the needle pain from my groin.
I had so many different views from doctors. Does anyone know if its hernia or some nerve problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
groin pain, hernia, nerve pain