It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board

• Does anyone suffer from these symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
    morose_symphony

morose_symphony HB User
    Does anyone suffer from these symptoms?

This is my last resort. I have tried the Digestive Disorders forum, the Allergies forum, and a ton of other different forums on various websites to see if anyone has similar symptoms.

I am a fifteen year old female who has been suffering from something for over six weeks. In early November, I had a choking incident at school. I quickly acted to get the food up, in which I did. After that, I was fine. When I got home, I had a snack and was okay. Then, at dinner, I ate and after taking a bite of food - I had terrible chest pain. It was severe chest pain, around my sternum. At first, I thought it was just heartburn and I took some antacids. The chest pain persisted.

The next day, I was in the ER. I had an EKG, blood test, and chest x-ray (which all came out as normal). The doctor concluded that I pulled a muscle in my chest and put me on Parafon. I had no success with the Parafon. The monday following the ER visit, I was in my pediatrician's office. He thought I was making my symptoms up and told me to just take antacids.

For about a week, I was having chest pain and a feeling that there was something in my throat when I swallowed. When I swallowed liquids and solids, I felt like I was choking. I was regurgitating and having a really hard time eating.

I went to see an ENT, who thought I had a post-viral esophageal spasm and he put me on Medrol to clear up inflammation in my throat. The Medrol helped me swallow easier, but I was still having heart burn. About four days after the ENT visit, I went back to see my pediatrician. He put me on Nexium when he realized that I had lost ten pounds.

After about two days on the Nexium, I had wonderful results. I felt about 60% better and was actually eating again. Two weeks on the Nexium, and I was feeling great, just occassional heartburn. Then, on Sunday, I went to bed feeling terrible. When I woke up, I had the lump in my throat again. Since Monday, I've had pain with swallowing, as well as the lump in my throat. I'm out of explanations.. there are so many doctors I can see.

A lot of the symptoms point to Achalasia, which is why I posted on this message board. I was wondering if perhaps when I choked, I could have damaged some nerves. Or if, this could be a thyroid problem? I am only five feet tall and will not grow anymore and overweight. I don't have an intolerance to cold or heat.

Thank you so much for reading!!
    Haileigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
    tzty
    Inactive

tzty HB User
    Re: Does anyone suffer from these symptoms?

Go back to the ENT doc and tell him you want scoped. You could have Barrett's Esophogus which is what it sounds like. You need to keep going and making them check you out. Get mom and dad to help you....this is not normal. Hugs, Joyshow

Old 03-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
    kathy rivers

kathy rivers HB User

You may have pulled a muscle, indeed! In doing so, a point of stress may have been created-called a Trigger Point (or TrP). This can cause future problems in your face, throat, swallowing, and the TrPs do spread. I'm not trying to frighten you and it's not life-threatening.

Trigger Points occur when a person has 'overuse' of muscles, accidents, and other matters, often unnoticed at the time. They have given me everything from 'heartburn' to an entire body of Trigger Points.

For the area you speak of, push on your chest, rib cage area, neck, jaw, shoulder area with your index and middle fingers together....a medium pressure should work fine. If you locate a spot or spots that either feel like they burn or hurt badly-especially if they almost make you jump-it's likely a trigger point. These can be worked on and released by various methods you can often do yourself. That is what need to be done, though, the trigger points need to 'be released'. Pressing on them (even though they hurt immensely) for 60-120 seconds frequently will release the trigger point enough so the muscle tissue can relax and unknot itself. It often takes several times to do this and frequently if the trigger point is released, it will activate again within a short period.

You will also want to have a family member try spots on your back, upper back, neck, shoulders and head- places where you can't reach yourself.

My health condition is one called chronic myofascial pain where I have hundreds of these trigger points throughout my entire body-caused by overwork and overuse. Like you inadvertently did during your reflexive response to choking.

I thank the heavens and angels that you are still alive and that you were able to stop the choking. The choking itself was scarey enough without the resultant problem you had occur. Good luck in finding the problem. Hope the trigger point theory holds and that's all it is. KR

Old 05-07-2004, 04:40 AM   #4
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Haileigh

Your symptoms sound exactly like my husband's. I would suggest that you see a gastro (Gastroenterologist). The doctor's also could not find what was wrong with my husband until one night when he actually got food caught in his throat and ended up in the ER again. He was able to breathe and they kept giving him meds to try and dissolve the food but that didn't work. They had to call in a surgeon and do a procedure to remove his dinner. Then he followed up with a gastro and she did and Endoscopy and found out that his Esophagus was slightly closing up and had to put a balloon into it to expand it again. Since then he has had know complication's. I do wish you the very best and please also see a gastro doctor.
    Have a good day

Old 05-12-2004, 06:26 AM   #5
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

All of the above is good advice and it appears that you may have been looking into the thyroid board too. Goiter--thyroid symptoms are weight loss, pain in throat, feeling as though something is in throat. Has your thyroid gland been examined and tests done? It may not even be swollen but giving you troubles. Do you have family history of thyroid problems?

Old 05-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
    pizzapizza

pizzapizza HB User

I have never posted to a board before, but in reading your desperate plea for help about your symptoms, I signed up and registered just so I could respond to help you. There is a person in our church that had the same exact symptoms you describe, and also could not find a doctor to help him. He was even told he had a mental problem. But he finally found a doctor who knew what was wrong.....he had a problem with his epiglottis, called epiglottitis. If left untreated, this may be so severe as to cause dealth. Tell your doctor you think this is what is wrong and have him check it out. If you are having problems such as vomiting, hard to breathe, etc., write this information down and go to an emergency room.

The epiglottis is a small flap that closes over the airway passages, so your food that you swollow goes to your stomach and not to your lungs. After swollowing, the epiglottis opens up the airway passage to so you can breath, and closes off the passage to your stomach. This is why you can have problems both with stomach acids, vomiting and the like, as well as breathing problems, etc.

Hope to hear back from you after you finally get treated...let me know. I will check back with this board periodically to see if you reply. Smile...you will be OK, just fix the problem now.

pizzapizza

Old 05-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Dear Haileigh,

I know of someone who was experiencing chest pains that caused him to go to the physician for check-up. Chest xray and EKG were done and results were negative. It was heartburn. This person had been to the doctor years before and was treated with H pylori so his question was, "Why am I experiencing so much heartburn?" Heartburn can cause chest pains too. He wanted to know why all the heartburn so it was time to look down his throat and the inside of his stomach. He had a "scopy" procedure done which took about 5 to 10 minutes. The findings were a hernia which was causing the acid reflux and heartburn. He could have that surgically corrected or just remain on the Prevacid. The thing is the "scopy" procedure revealed that nothing really serious was going on and the guy feels much better about that even tho he has to take prevacid to ward off the heartburn.

Light a candle when in the dark. Maybe it is time to have a "scopy" procedure to verify just exactly what is going on inside.

Closed Thread