It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board

• nerve conduction studies and emg (needle testing)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
    Mara

nerve conduction studies and emg (needle testing)

I'm having this done. I've read a little about it. Is it painful? How safe are the needles they use? I read that certain medications can affect the test. I take zanaflex and want to avoid a false neg/false positive results. I read medications that affect cns should not be taken 6 days before the test. Has anyone who had these tests continued to take their medications prior to or did you stop it before the test for days then start up again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
    penybobeny
    Inactive
    (female)

penybobeny HB User
    Re: nerve conduction studies and emg (needle testing)

Hi there Gemi
    I have had a few EMG's done, and often the worst part is sitting in the waiting room.
    The needles are safe, and very small... and it is all over quickly.
    The worst you can expect is a buzzing tingling feeling much like hitting your 'funny bone' and persoanlly, I had no side effects. ( Though I will admit milking it big time to get the hubby to take me to dinner )
    Before my first EMG I was a bundle of nerves, now I have had all my extremities done and I can honestly say that as far as medical testing goes, it is a piece of cake.
    keep us posted.... ( and get a dinner out of it if you can )
    peny

Closed Thread